• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cutlass bearing

ralph roddam

Member I
Yes its time to change the cutlass bearing on mat E35-mark2.Anyone know what I can expect to pay? Is the shaft on a strut. any advice would be appreciated,
'
Ralph Ericson owner-"another fine mess'

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I paid $228 for a new cutless bearing installed, parts and labor. This was, however with the shaft already removed and I got two of the three set screws out. One was busted and I let them do it. I figure with the shaft in it shouldn't be more than double that figure even if its a real PITA. RT

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I figure with the shaft in it shouldn't be more than double that figure even if its a real PITA. RT
With the right tools it is no more difficult to change the cutless bearing on the shaft than with the shaft out.

YMMV

Last edited:

robjpowell

Member II
Ralph,
I'm not sure if this question/problem got sorted out but I have had all sorts of fun trying to do this exact task. The first thing I found was that the rudder needs to be dropped in order to remove the shaft (oh we tried and tried but it won't flex enough). In order remove the rudder that it in turn means either co-ordinating with the travel lift to leave the boat in the slings overnight (what I will be doing next month) or blocking the boat higher than is standard around here -this won't fly at my yard here in Boston. Then of course there is the question of where to get a bearing for a 'small' shaft. This is still the part of the puzzle that I have not worked out.

As for the first question the bearing is on a leg. A couple of poor photos can be seen in the "E35-2 Engine position change" thread in 'Maintenance & Mechanical'.

Please keep us posted with what progress you make.

robjpowell

Member II
e38owner -this is the very tool I have sought for the last 2 years. Did you manage to hire one? Fall/winter 2008 I called many yards/repair people around Boston but had no luck. Can you let us know how it worked?

Thanks
Rob

e38 owner

Member III
the tool

We got a group of fellow slip owners and bought one together since it is not a tool that gets used often.

We have changed six cutless bearings in the last year and it has worked fine.
When we did mine we needed longer bolts. The standard worked great on a 4 " cutless. But the 38 takes a 5 or 6" cutless. I think I bought a 6 and let it hang out 1/2 inch each way. I also sawed an old cutless bearing in 1/2 so the insert was long enough. A good friend helped me who is very very mechanical. With his help it went smooth as can be.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
If you check out the following link you will find pictures of the tool I borrowed to remove the bearing without removing the shaft. It is similar to the Strut Pro without the $400. Scrap lumber, 1/2" threaded rod, nuts & washers, and a piece of tubing.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3253

I used a pipe nipple and turned it down to 1.25" diameter, but you can buy tubing in small quantities cut to length from OnlineMetals.com. It priced out at less than $4 plus shipping. You would still have to cut it lengthwise.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

Intuition

Member I
Tom:

Thanks for the link and the photos etc. I'm going to save the $400.00 and build one of these myself. Great job - Thanks David

Maine Sail

Member III
e38owner -this is the very tool I have sought for the last 2 years. Did you manage to hire one? Fall/winter 2008 I called many yards/repair people around Boston but had no luck. Can you let us know how it worked?

Thanks
Rob

I own one and it works very well. You do need to be careful but it will even press out bearings in struts that don't have set-screw.
131641936.jpg

A Strut-Pro would be a good tool to all pitch in on as an organization. The C-34 and I believe C-36 owners associations each own them and members can use them as needed.

Using a Strut-Pro MAY allow the shaft to squeak by the rudder after the cutlass has been removed.

If I already had the shaft out then cutting it out of the strut is the easiest method.

Cutlass Replacement (LINK)