• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electric fuel pump question...

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would like to replace the original electric fuel lift pump on our 1984 E30+ with the 5416 model 16 hp universal diesel engine. The existing one still works, but I understand they can fail without warning, so I think I'll replace it and keep this one as a spare (if that's not a good idea, please tell me).

The red label on the existing one says "Facet List 57AA (though either of the As could be a 4). The Facet web site doesn't list anything like that, but does have one with a psi of 1 - 8. The on-line parts list at Torreson Marine for universal engines lists only one with a psi of 2.75 - 3.25. I spoke with our local universal parts dealer and he suggested buying one at an auto parts store (like NAPA) as it would be cheaper, but they have so many, with small or large ranges of psi that I'm not sure which one to buy. Would it work to have one with a psi of 1 - 8, like on the Facet web site, or could that cause a problem if it should be 2.75 - 3.25--ie. how sensitive is all of this?

If anyone has a part number for the right equivalent pump for the universal 5416 16 hp diesel engine at an auto parts store, that would be even more helpful.

They apparently come with various sizes/fittings for the fuel line hose, so I'm thinking I'll take mine off and take it with me to the auto parts store, but I would rather go there knowing better what psi to ask for, and any other info that would ensure I get the right one.

Thanks for any advice.

Frank

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Frank,
Just do a site search on the word Facet.
There are a lot of good threads on sourcing and specs.
That's the pump that came on our '88 boat, too.

Loren

edit for detail: our Universal diesel uses an external electric lift pump.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I thought the lift pump is on the engine and is mechanical. Where did you hear that the electric fuel pump was prone to unexpected failure? I don't think I have heard that. I also thought the electric fuel pump could be easily rebuilt, consisting of a filter (which apparently should be checked and cleaned/replaced occasionally) and a diaphragm.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Mark,

I have read that, and it is also mentioned in the threads that Loren referred me to above--thanks, Loren (I searched Facet), and some of the Ericson owners are carrying spares or have replaced theirs before it gave out. I also asked the diesel mechanic who periodically does some work for me--he said the electric ones are a bit like a light bulb, they work til they don't. Some of them apparently have a filter that can be cleaned, but I haven't heard that they can be rebuilt if they fail. Maybe someone can let us know if that's the case.

I understand that there are both mechanical and electric fuel lift pumps. Mine on the 1984 E30+ looks like the original and is bolted onto the bulkhead in the engine compartment, just inside and to the left of the engine compartment door below the galley sink. It is a cylinder, about 2" diameter and about 4 - 6" high, with fuel lines going in/out and a couple of electric wires.

I have the 5416 universal 16 hp diesel engine; maybe other engines on the E30+ have different fuel pumps.

Frank

Last edited: