• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 with Windlass

u079721

Contributing Partner
I spent a few days in Bayfield, WI last week, and walked the dock at some fancy marina where I must have seen at least 10 Ericsons, including two 38s.

I noticed that one of them had a windlass mounted, something that you don't see very often.

E381d.jpg

E38Windlass1.jpg

Looks pretty nice. But then I walked around the other side, and noticed just how much the boat was riding down by the bow - ouch!

E38Windlass2.jpg

Of course there might be a whole lot of stuff stored in the forward cabin, but it sure looks as if the E38 can't readily handle the weight of all that chain forward.

Anyone else have a windlass on their 38? Do you have the same problem?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I believe that is an E38-200? I'm not sure about the V-berth configuration on that model but on my E381 that installation would not work..... The windlass is aft of the anchor pan, and that means the motor is hanging into the V-berth. It also means its dropping the chain there too! Alternatively the chain could be dropping off into the factory anchor pan, but its hard to say from the pics. If it is into the pan, then I can't see how well that would work since the pan is not that deep, the chain will stack up and jam.

Its possible that the pan has been removed and a bulkhead glassed in, allowing the chain to drop to approximately the waterline, inside a narrow triangular space made by the new bulkhead. I'm sure the windlass motor could have had a decorative cover placed on it in the V-berth area as well. The only other concern I would have is how do you open the anchor locker? Not easily. Secure chain at stopper, pay out chain from windlass, move out of way, open hatch? I must admit I really like the way Catalina does it, with a bulge in the hatch lengthwise to fit over the chain.

Regarding the weight, the only real extra weight in the windlass. That could easily be a chain/rope rode with 20ft of chain on it. I have 50ft of 5/16" chain and a 35lb CQR on my 381 and it does just fine. A windlass only adds 60-70lbs to the bow. Now if I fill the bow water tank to capacity THEN it looks like that!

Either way, I want to see pics of the V-berth, locker, etc!

RT

u079721

Contributing Partner
From the configuration of the portlights you can see that this is an older 38, not the newer 38-200 layout. Meaning it has the head forward, though I don't offhand recall what that does to the v-berth and the location of the forward bulkhead relative to the anchor pan.

I too wondered about how the chain was managed. As for the weight, the additional weight of the windlass itself might not be the problem, but something sure has that boat out of trim!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
From the configuration of the portlights you can see that this is an older 38, not the newer 38-200 layout.

Really??? My E38 has three opening ports forward of the fixed lights on each side, not like the two ports on both sides in the pictures. Also, I have a dorade box forward of the mast and then a hatch in the V-berth, not two hatches...... Now you have me really confused.

RT

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It's an E-34

Hey guys - I realize there are no pics of an E-34 on this site, :rolleyes: but they do exist, and some of them have a windlass on the foredeck. The one pictured above, for example. Mine also, and the motor and gearbox do hang down into the V-berth which is not a problem.

On mine the chain has to be tailed into the anchor locker. Not ideal, but satisfactory. I usually pick up the line by hand and just use the windlass for the chain.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Oops - maybe it IS a 34. I have to admit that I didn't pace it off. I haven't been aboard an Ericson since 2004 when we sold Rag Doll, so I am a bit rusty at some of this identification stuff.

hodo

Member III
We have a windlass on Mischief Maker, an 85 E38, however it is mounted in the chain locker below the cover. the chain,50 ft, falls through a pipe forward of the V berth. No problem with the weight.

Harold.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Harold

Our E38 also has a windlass aft of the locker, forcing the chain and rode to have to be guided forward to the locker above the deck. Not a great solution, but since I don't use the windlass (clutch slips) it's way down the list of fixes. The underside intrudes a lot into the v-berth but it is attractively boxed-in and it's only a problem when getting forward to work in the point of the bow. I'm thinking about a solution like Harold's and others who have submerged the windlass in the locker. I like carrying all of the chain and rode that I normally use in the locker pan because it dries out faster and doesn't cause odors inside the boat even when not perfectly cleaned up.

We carry 60' of 5/16" chain and a 33 lb Bruce around and no problem with trim.