• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at E26 1984 for purchase

tim532861

Thank you in advance for any comments.

I am looking at an 1984 E26 for purchase.

I am a newbe to the E26 and wanted pros and cons to this boat. Anything I should be careful to look at to make sure I am not buying a hidden project boat??. I am considering a haul out for full survey, with asking price of 12,900 ( I plan on offering 25% less) it seems a bit overboard? Deck looks very sound only a few little spider cracks on Stern. I unzipped the liner and all looks dry. All hatches also seem dry. Thanks again in advance Tim , Downey Ca.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Ericson-Sloop-1951175/San-Pedro/CA/United-States

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine looks clean and the hours are below average for the year.
Since there's no bragging in the writeup about new standing or running rigging, it's probably safe to assume that these need replacing.

No furling in the photo, but the description sez new Harken furl.
:confused:
If true, that adds about 2K to the value. Good gracious, I hope the rigger put a new forestay under that furler. :rolleyes:

The Force 10 galley stove is a very good thing.
VHF appears to be old, but the new ones have so many features that this upgrade will be most welcome. Axiomatic that any instruments over a decade in age add zero value to a used boat. As long as they work, rejoice... and start setting aside a few bux for a new set. The AP sounds good; that's a well-regarded AP model, speaking in general.

Keep us posted.
Owners of sister ships will probably have specific things to suggest for you to look at.

Regards,
Loren

edit: I find a cross post for this thread in another forum, and since it seems a reasonable fit here, I shall erase the duplicate post.
(We try to avoid to avoid cross posting as much as possible.)

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Tim,

She looks to be well-maintained. To add to what Loren said, I'd say to look closely at the electrical system. If the electronics are dated, chances are the electrical system is as well. It could very well be working just fine. There is possibility, though, that after 26 years there is corrosion in the system. I'd look closely at the plumbing system as well. Not sure if they were still installing gate valves in 1984, but if these are present it would be a good idea to take them out. Maybe you know all this. Just thought I'd point it out. Price seems a little steep, unless she's in outstanding shape.

Roscoe

jarnold67

Member II
Nice boat, price is high

Tim,
I own a 1985 E26 (stamping ERY26238M85A), and I echo what others have said so far regarding this boat. It appears to be in good condition (the interior is in much better shape than mine!), but the electrical does look old.

I didn't see any pics of the engine gauges, but if you do pick her up, I would look at rerunning much of the electrical.

General plumbing should be checked out. I saw a temporary "holder" in the head photograph, so I would check out the head in more detail. That head looks original (W/C) that may need a rebuild (parts are available, and it isn't that hard). But I would also look at the hoses.

Also, check to see if the bilge pump works - I only had a manual Whale Gusher that was so badly gone that the only resolution was a complete replacement - thank you ebay! I made that project much more difficult by installing an electric pump and valving to keep from drilling another hole in the boat. With a tiller, I would expect that you have much more room back there than I did.

Finally, I think the price is a little high considering the age and our current economic condition. I did very well on mine last year, but then the PO was motivated by another boat he had sitting on a mooring. I think a 25% reduction would be more than fair. Good luck landing her!

John

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Tim

I actually looked at this boat a few months ago. I was considering downsizing from my 30+. Nice boat except it needs quite a bit of upgrading. The bottom will need to be done immediately, it has been scrubbed down to the gelcoat near the bow. Standing and running rigging will need to be replaced since they seem original. I do not remember how the sails were, I think they were close to needing replacement. I came to the conclusion that if I sold my Ericson for $20,000 it would cost me almost as much to bring this boat to the same condition mine already is between purchase price and upgrades. The final point for me was how small the v-berth was. There was no way my any of us would have fit. If you can get it for a great price it would be a good buy. At 12,900 I am not so sure.

Hope this helps
Greg