• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32-3 shoal keel vs deep keel

Art

Member I
Does anyone know if a E32-3 shoal keel (4'4" draft) is more tender and points less high than the deep keel model (6'2")? Thanks

It's physics

A deep keel model will always point higher and be stiffer than a shoal draft model. It's just physics. Don't sail where the wading birds walk, though.

Morgan Stinemetz

tadslc

Member III
I have a 32-3 shoal draft and have been perfectly happy with it's performance. Despite the keel, I'm still able to point on par or better than many other boats. In the several races I've participated in pointing hasn't been too big a problem since my PHRF rating takes this account at a 162 compared to the deep draft at 156.
I haven't been on a deep draft 32-3 to compare tenderness/stiffness but I'm perfectly content with the shoal draft. It also allows me to go places other's can't and that to me is of greater concern down on the gulf or intercoastal.

Art

Member I
Thanks to both responses. We have a shoal keel E-29 and are able to point as well or nearly as well as anyone else on Lake Champlain. We're looking for a larger boat and wondered if there is much difference in particular on the E32-3. I certainly understand the physics of shallow vs deep keels. We have lots of interesting but shallow anchorages on the lake. I guess I would be more concerned if we raced, but we don't so the shoal keel is probably not an issue.
Art

Mindscape

Member III
32-3 Shoal Keel

We also have a shoal keel 32-3 and have overall been very happy. I've sailed upwind side by side with a 32-3 fin keel and I do think he was able to point a bit higher. Physics as was stated earlier. I don't feel like the boat is tender. Have been out on Lake Michigan in some pretty windy 20+ days and with the right sail set have been in good shape. That said, the 32-3 does well in light air like a number of E boats and you do need to reef (IMHO) at around 12 knots of wind for the best perf.