• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice please on replacing fresh water circulating pump: 5416

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

The bearings on the fresh water circulating pump on our Universal 5416 16 hp diesel engine are growling, so I think it's time to replace the pump. I have been told that rebuilding it can be a frustrating and sometimes futile process, so was advised to replace.

I have a Kubota Tractor dealership within driving distance, so am hoping to buy it at less cost than through a chandlery. I understand that the 5416 engine is the same block as the Z751A in the L185 tractor. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Also, any tips on removing and installing the pump, as I haven't done this before. I think there are four bolts to remove, then take the nut off in front of the pulley as I think I need to reuse the pulley. I anticipate that I might be flooded by coolant, so I plan to be ready with a bucket.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Frank

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Advise: drain the coolant as much as possible and start early with the penetrating oil. Then don't force the bolts/nuts... If you get them to move then work them a bit at a time back & forth till they are free. It is a common mistake to just turn in the off direction till the fastener binds and breaks! Have fun! Edd