• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repowering a 32-3

pick

Member II
I'm thinking of perhaps replacing my 1986 M25 with a M25XPB. Has anyone done this? I was hoping that I could just take the old engine out and drop the new one in. Is life really that simple? My current engine has a 3 point mount. The dealer felt I should go with a 4 point mount which seems to me like it could complicate the process. Any thoughts and or experience would be appreciated. Would this be the time to replace the old-but-functioning water heater or can it be removed without removing the engine?

Thanks in advance for any comments

PDX

Member III
I have replaced a Universal M-25 with an M-25xpb, although not on an E-32-3. The two engines, while both 3 cylinder, are not the same size. The M-25xpb, with 5 more horsepower, is heavier and taller. I was not able to use the same engine mounts on my boat because the M-25xpb was too tall to fit under the cockpit floor. I had to build new mounts and move them forward.

I have no idea how much room you have between your existing engine and the cockpit floor. The old M-25 on my boat was itself a re-power on fabricated mounts, and those mounts should have been placed further forward anyway. Do the mounts for the two engines have the same track width? I don't know. I didn't notice. The M-25xpb is a four point mount system.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One thought about the three point mount that was used on thousands of Ericsons with Universal diesels.... I would not change this based on just or two opinions.
Mike, you might want to have Norm G come over for an analysis of your porposed project.

Also, while considering similar Kubota-based replacements, check out the fit and mount sizing on the equivalent Betamarine diesel as well.

Loren

PDX

Member III
Universal M3-20?

I just checked out the Universal specs and all of the M models are four point mounts now.

Incidentally, there is a smaller 3 cylinder, the M3-20. It is 50 lbs lighter than the M-25xpb and 20 horsepower as opposed to 26. It gets there at higher RPM, 3500 as opposed to 3000. When I got my engine, the M3-20 wasn't much cheaper and I lilked the lower RPM torque curve of the M-25xpb. But if you don't need the extra 6 horses and are attracted to a smaller lighter unit, with the easier intallation that suggests, the M3-20 might be worth a look.