• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What is best Emergency Stay for E38

Touchrain

Member III
Just took our boat to San Diego from Olympia. Realized I really should get a back up stay in the event of a failure, despite brand new rigging. Has anyone rigged up a t-ball (t-ring with a length of the new high tech, low stretch rigging that would be equal to the largest stay (9/32 or 5/16) to use in an emergency. Seems that would make more sense than wire. If so, what did you do?

Touchrain

Member III
Looks slick, but pricey. I'm using t-900 3/8 and will take the old t-ball fittings, which still look good, and leave a couple feet of wire on them. I'll nicropress some thimbles on them for a bowline to the t-900 run it to a block in the stern if something ever lets go, and run it to a winch. Given the working load of the t-900, even with the bowline, and a sturdy block, I think it should work. If anyone sees an obvious flaw in this scheme, let me know

Navman

Member III
stay

What about just making up a length of non stretch to extend from the thimble on the booms wire topping lift to extend back to a fixed point or to one of your stern cleats. You could even rig a bridle to go from cleat to cleat then put a shackle on both ends of your length of non stretch. This would allow you to quickly and efficiently make the change out when needed. attach the shackle to the topping lift then attaché the end shackle to the bridle. Just may make one up for my own E38 as I do have a nice offshore trip planned for next season. Let me know what you finally come up with.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I keep some big U-bolts aboard, along with a hacksaw and bolt cutters. Plan to cut a piece of anchor chain to connect broken stay.

But improvisation is key. A new rig won't fail unless we get rolled or brushed by a containership, and then it's gonna be head-scratch Erector Set time.