• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Freshwater pump issue in E38

Touchrain

Member III
Just replaced the freshwater pump in my E38. The pump cycles from time to time, even when water isn't being run. In addition, each time it "burps" a bit of water out of the faucet for the freshwater foot pump. I have an accumulator tank installed. I've given the system a cursory check for air leaks, but haven't found any. I'm wondering if the burping is somehow related. Finally, the new pump is slightly higher pressure than the old one, but I adjusted the pressure down so I don't think there is more pressure, maybe even less.

Any ideas out there?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you haven't done so, you might want to try checking/tightening all the freshwater connections--galley tap connections, head tap connections, etc. I found a very small leak in the hose at the hot water heater, which decreased the cycling. I still have some cycling on our boat which I have not yet solved.

Good luck!
Frank

dwigle

Member III
We also get the shot of water out of the foot pump outlet, but I've just thought that it was a faulty check valve in the foot pump. It started a few months ago and hasn't gotten any worse. I point this out because we don't have a problem with the pump cycling, and just returning from five weeks out, we would have noticed.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8
Pt. Richmond, CA

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The cycling of the pressure pump, if frequent, is annoying. Definitely check for loose clamps or fittings as Frank suggests. I think it will cycle periodically anyway, being an imperfect collection of components. I turn off the pump at night because it usually cycles right about the time I'm falling asleep - and you know about sudden night-time noises on boats, right? I mean, we sleep in the V-berth and the pump is 'way back in the cockpit lazarette... it's like having a coughing baby onboard.

I have the same fresh water burp from the foot pump spigot at the end of the pump cycle. The check valve in the supply line to the foot pump, I think, is there to prevent loss of foot pump prime. So, it should be allowing pressure bumps to get to the foot pump, otherwise it wouldn't get any water when you operate the lever.

The design of the foot pump, which makes it pump water on the down and the up travel of the lever, might make it susceptible to passing the burps. I've come to think of the burp as a normal occurrence.

PS - Having a baby onboard is not bad, but sleeping on a boat, especially at anchor, makes me a light sleeper, like when my girls were little.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Fresh water pump issue

I had this same problem with the pressure in my Ericson 32-3 and it took over a year to resolve. I think I finally talked to Shur Flo and after explaining the fresh water system to them they said my problem was in the foot pump as it was apparently leaking air in to the system. Bought a new foot pump and it immediately corrected the problem after a lot of frustration. You might want to bypass the foot pump by connecting the two hoses together to be sure you have the same issue I had. Hope this helps. Dan Callen Ericson32-3 Andiamo

u079721

Contributing Partner
Every time I had this issue it was solved by tightening all the fittings, in particular the input to the pump, which tended to vibrate loose. We didn't have an accumulator pump either, so that wasn't part of the problem.

Even when I did get it fixed we generally turned the fresh water off at the breaker right after dinner each night, as there always seemed to be at least one "burp" in the middle of the night as the pump would cycle to top off the pressure in the system. Not a real loud noise, but definitely enough to wake you up wondering "What was that?!?".

Touchrain

Member III
Thanks for all the great input. I did not have this problem with my previous pump, but hey, when you rework a system all sorts of idiosyncrasies can show up, right? I'll bypass the foot pump to check that, make sure all fittings are tight. If that doesn't work, guess I'll follow your lead and shut it off at night.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Two thoughts. I almost never use the footpump and there is a plastic ball valve in the line just before it. It never burps since that valve is off 99.9% of the time. The other thing is I NEVER, I mean NEVER leave the water pump on when I'm not using it. Once you have a fitting blow off and you pump 40 gallons of water into the bilge while underway to a 5 day vacation you remember to turn it off! Can't hear the bilge pump cycling when under sail and the pump keeps up with the flow.....
RT