• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 question - sink outflow (in head)

adam

Member III
I just bought an Ericson 29. And the head hasn't been used in many years, so I've got to get it working again.

The first puzzle that I'm working on is the outflow for the sink. This is the sink in the head. Right now, the outflow just drains onto my floor.

Does anyone know where it was supposed to go?

Thanks!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The head drawings in the owner’s manual on this site are not even close to my boat.
On my 1978 E 29 the sink drains by a through hull under the forward access of the Starboard settee. There are three through hulls holding tank overboard pump out, Head intake water and head sink drain.

paul culver

Member III
My E29 (1977) also drains the head sink at a through-hull under the forward hatch of the starboard settee. Waste tank pump-out and toilet seawater intake through-hulls are located under a hatch on the starboard side of the vee berth.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"

adam

Member III
Thanks guys.

That was actually a ton of help. I think I've almost found out what's going on here.

I have the most convoluted and complicated head setup shown in the Ericson manual (pg 21). It's a _recirculating_ head with outflow. What a mess.

And very oddly there is only 1 through hull for the entire head where I believe you guys have 2 or 3. My only through hull is in the starboard settee, which you guys say is being used by your sink. So, I'm guessing that at some point, someone disconnected the seacock which used to drain the sink, and re-purposed it for sewage.

*sigh*

So, now I'm going to redo the entire thing. Here's my plan, and I'd really appreciate feedback on it.

1) Get rid of the recirculating sewage and flush with fresh water. (Using salt water would require adding a new through hull). My small holding tank will fill up quickly, but I'll have to live with that until I get a bigger tank.

2) Changing the outflow, such that the sink now using the one existing through hull.

3) Since I don't have a through hull for outflow, but I've got pumps and tubes, I'm considering having "pump to bucket". It might just be more convenient to sometimes carry a sealed bucket to the dumping facility rather than having to pull my boat in there.

And finally, one more question about where things should be as my 1973 boat seems a bit wacky. Where is your fresh water intake? Do you have a deck plate for it?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Inside Fill note

And finally, one more question about where things should be as my 1973 boat seems a bit wacky. Where is your fresh water intake? Do you have a deck plate for it?

On this last question... while having a deck fill is handy, our boat came stock with the clean-out port and fill being the same thing, under the settee where the water tank lives. It seemed unusual, but in practice it works well.
For filling I move the seat cushion aside and unscrew the plate. Hose is led over deck and down thru the vent hatch. Hose already has a $3 ball valve on the end for on n off. Fill tank and extract hose.
If you can access the top of your tank, and it does not have an inspection port... good excuse to add one, IMHO.
:)
Those little hose-end valves are common at any hardware store and have male hose threads on the end so that you can add a nozzle and then turn it back on. Handy little idea.

Most other boats do have a deck fill screw-out plate, but we do not miss having one.

On our previous 26' boat the water tank was under the fore peak, and the fill was the same, FWIW.

Loren

adam

Member III
E29 - re-plumbing (was sink outflow)

Step by step, I'm getting through the mysteries here.

Thanks Loren! My boat does have the access port you describe, and that's how I was told to fill up the fresh water.

However, I took a look at the plumbing and there is a tube which runs up to the port cockpit locker (need to double check this), where it is open, and connected to nothing.

I'm guessing that some previous owner began the process of adding a deck fill plate, and never finished the job. Is there any good reason for me not to add this?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The hose you speak of may be the tank vent hose. With a deck fill you have to watch the tank to know when it is full as you are at the tank any way. My tank is under the quarter berth and has a 1 1/4" plug that is the fill port. I have considered the installation of a deck fill but there is not a convenient route for the hose, you will need 1" minimum size.

paul culver

Member III
I go along with vent tube. Mine has one as well. Otherwise the pump would end up drawing a vacuum in the tank at some point.

Paul
E29 "Bear"