• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

electric motor shaft coupling

steven

Sustaining Member
For the engineering types among us:

I'm thinking of experimenting with an electric drive, but don't want to pull my current engine (A4 in working order). Thinking of a belt drive coupling to the shaft aft of the A4. Anyone know where to get a collar thingy that will put a belt pulley on the shaft without decoupling the shaft?

Assuming such a thing exists, would the shaft need additional support near the collar - since the belt will pull to one side. I wouldn't think the belt tension would anywhere near enough to pull the shaft off center, but I haven't worked the numbers.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

--Steve

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Not your answer just questions

If you use a V-belt the belt and pulleys will sap quite a bit of power a flat timing belt type setup will work better and requires less belt tension. The effort to turn the output shaft on the transmission will also require additional power.
What type motor and controls do you plan on using and how big a battery band do you plan to use.

steven

Sustaining Member
Randy,

Just getting started (and have other higher priority projects) so everything is really ball park right now.

Maybe around 8hp, 20ish lb-ft, 10kw at 48v. I think Lynch and others have motors and controllers in the range.

Roughly 600ah conventional deep cycle lead acid. Should give 90min running (drawing around 200a) with 50% reserve. But I really concerned about charging time and can't seem to find ratings for that.

Thanks for advice on timing belt. Any idea how to figure losses in the drive train. Are there rules of thumb?

Thanks

--Steve