• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Going out the Golden Gate

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Greetings all. I've been sailing over a little over a year now pretty extensively in the SF Bay Area. I've been putting off going out the Golden Gate into the Pacific until I could gain more experience and now at a point where I think I'm ready. However, I'm wondering whether my E27 would be ok out there. I've read plenty that E27's go all over, but I'm primarily concerned on how ready my Ericson 27 is. I would only go out for 2-3 day (at most) coastal cruises. Specifically:

- I have a 9.9 HP outboard. Any concern about taking a boat out with an outboard out to the ocean?

- I have the transom cutout for the outboard. Any concerns re: following seas or other issues?

What other upgrades might I want to consider? I already know about having the right communications/navigation equipment/electrical, but not sure about what changes to make to the rigging.

Again, I only plan to be out no more than 2 - 3 days going up/down the coast, and more than likely will out head out to the Farallon Islands and back most of the time.

Last edited:
The Pacific

Ignacio,
The body of water you are one makes no difference if your seamanship is good. Sure, it can get awful out in the Pacific around the Farallons--where the great white sharks are--but if you play the weather right and be conservative you can do it. If you get part way and think you could be in over your head, turn around. Go home. I sailed my 27 from Tampa Bay to Cuba and back. It has an outboard cutout like your boat. No problems. Offshore sailing in heavy weather, I think, suggests an aluminum forward hatch to replace the standard wooden one. Additionally, a hatch hood is a good idea as it keeps water out of the inside of the boat. The E-27 is a rugged boat and will pull you through if you don't do stupid things. Be conservative. Being gonzo out there will get you killed.
Just make sure your ambitions do not exceed your abilities.
Morgan Stinemetz

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
In my 20's, I used to scuba dive each weekend around Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Carmel and Big Sur. Each time I did, the idea of seeing a Great White was daunting but didn't stop me. I'm probably lucky to be alive today. :)

And seeing that my last name is Gonzalez, one could argue that I'd be Gonzo out there regardless of how conservative I sail (which is really unexciting). I don't race, or have any interest in it. I'm just out for the fresh air and for the sightseeing. I figure that might keep me Gonzo and not Goners.

Any tips on getting in/out of the Golden Gate: what conditions are optimal for heading out, and what conditions are optimal for coming back in?

Ignacio,
The body of water you are one makes no difference if your seamanship is good. Sure, it can get awful out in the Pacific around the Farallons--where the great white sharks are--but if you play the weather right and be conservative you can do it. If you get part way and think you could be in over your head, turn around. Go home. I sailed my 27 from Tampa Bay to Cuba and back. It has an outboard cutout like your boat. No problems. Offshore sailing in heavy weather, I think, suggests an aluminum forward hatch to replace the standard wooden one. Additionally, a hatch hood is a good idea as it keeps water out of the inside of the boat. The E-27 is a rugged boat and will pull you through if you don't do stupid things. Be conservative. Being gonzo out there will get you killed.
Just make sure your ambitions do not exceed your abilities.
Morgan Stinemetz

erikwfab

Member II
Golden gate

Go out on an ebb and in on a flood, and be prepared for the wind to ease up once well outside.

Vincent

Member II
Out the Gate

Ignacio, you might try a trip out the Gate with someone who has more ocean or costal miles under there belt first. Weather it on your boat or theirs. Local knowage is very important when transiting the entrance to SF. There is more then the weather and sea state to worry about . Do homework on the charts. Stay away from the North AND SOUTH SHOAL, Listen to VTS for ship traffic .
Be safe and have a good time .
Vince