• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar "Old standard" Portlights

aquavit

Member II
Does anyone have any instructions from Lewmar regarding installation of the "Old standard" portlights, found in my 1990 Ericson 28? I have one non-opening portlight with a leak that shows up through 2 screws, it may be the horizontal external seam that needs re-sealing. How to re-seal it and what to use is unknown to me. I have another which seems to be leaking through the closing handles, I believe the installation of new o-rings (2 x 12 x 16mm) will solve that problem. I have one in the bathroom that leaks near the top and I believe that the only source for that leak is between the outer frame and the cabin. I wouldn't mind getting a look at an installation drawing before I take it out. If anyone has info I would appreciate it.

Glenn (Aquavit)

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner

aquavit

Member II
Thanks Tom.

I pulled both opening portlights out today as well as one fixed light. All 3 were leaking between the port frames and the cabin. The small black rubber seal between the upper and lower halves were still pliable and seemed to fit well. I don't know if the installations were original or if someone had decided to do a bit of preventative maintenance on them in the past but the installation was not good. I could actually see light around two of them once I took the inside ring off. I replaced the o-rings in the locks of the opening ports and cleaned the seals as well before putting them back in with 3M 4000. I am going to re-seal the other 3 lights over the next couple of weeks since I can only assume that if the 3 that I removed were leaking, the other 3 most likely are as well.

I don't suppose that anyone has 2 trim rings for Lewmar size 1 "old-standard" opening portlights do they???

Glenn (Aquavit)