• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28+ Bus Bar

katinka0e

Hi. The bow, stern, and deck lights all went out simultaneously; we're thinking that the negative wires to these lights were bunched together at a bus bar, and that the wire from the bus bar to the engine block (ground), shorted somehow (indirect lightning strike perhaps). Does anyone know where any of the E28's bus bars are located on board? Thanks. Ron

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Look for three-way crimp connectors somewhere behind/near the hidden spaces where the wires come into the 12 volt distribution panel. While there is certainly (somewhere...) a ground buss bar behind that panel, there might be some creative combining of common wires in the area also.
I found that several of the cabin light circuits were tied together with the above-referenced connectors.
I also found several breakers with more than one wire lug under a screw.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2181&referrerid=28

Here's a picture of the finished terminal block installed.

Probably a long shot, but you might have a broken wire in one of those connectors or a break in a ground wire lug going to the neg. buss.

Good luck,
Loren

katinka0e

Thank you Loren Beach. We looked behind and near the electric panel, and behind the zippered interior, but no neg. bus bar. Our alternative is to follow the negative from the stern light and hope that they meet-up with those of the other deck lights.

Glyn Judson

Chasing that ellusive ground.

Ron, Also consider tracking down the ground buss by starting at the battery headed toward the electrical panel. Somewhere the wires from the bow and the one from the battery will meet and there you will find what you're looking for. On another note, I see that you show City Island NY as your location. I have spent many pleasant hours on City Island absorbing the ambiance and the locals when in/on Long Island SOund attending the long gone Ericson Rendezvous'. Aside from sailing on an E31 from City Island (wow, shallow waters!!), I particularly relish the memories I have of eating at the City Island Diner. One time I asked the waitress for directions to get back to the Throgsneck bridge. She didn't know but asked her friend Rocco in the greatest NY accent you ever heard if he "could help this gentleman find the bridge". Several years later I actually saw her emerging from a nearby apartment building headed to the Diner in uniform so she was probably a local for some time. It amazes me in a good way that some folks can live in a little enclave such as that oblivious to the world outside their own. Let's face it, the bridge isn't all that far from the Diner. I love it all and love every visit to NYC and the surrounding areas. Cheers, Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
What I found were several of the three-way crimp connectors that were "daisy chained" together to combine ground circuits. Some of them were in the area behind the panel where the stereo was mounted.

I used some terminal strips to clean up a bunch of wiring on my boat. Since the individual connections on the terminal strip are isolated (not like a buss bar), is there any reason positive and ground connections could not be mixed on the terminal strip? There are also jumpers available to "gang" adjacent terminals together in one circuit.

Last edited:

katinka0e

Thanks for your help in solving the Case of the Dark Deck mystery. I'll head to City Island and the E28+ this weekend to test your thoughts. And yes, the waters around CI are shallow, and it does seem that local residents seldom leave the New England-esque setting in the Bronx. BTW, a small island near CI, called Rat Island, is for sale, at about 300,000.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Thanks for your help in solving the Case of the Dark Deck mystery. I'll head to City Island and the E28+ this weekend to test your thoughts. And yes, the waters around CI are shallow, and it does seem that local residents seldom leave the New England-esque setting in the Bronx. BTW, a small island near CI, called Rat Island, is for sale, at about 300,000.

There is a bar behind the battery box under the main panel. We found ours when we enlarged the battery box for two group 31's. We replaced it with a better bar and positioned slightly better so it can be accessed from the main panel via removal of the panel. We did find some of the stock wiring to be a little messy and did some minor clean up regarding connectors in a few spots.

The enlarged battery box and two group 31's was well spent money!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Negative" thoughts...

What I found were several of the three-way crimp connectors that were "daisy chained" together to combine ground circuits. Some of them were in the area behind the panel where the stereo was mounted.

I used some terminal strips to clean up a bunch of wiring on my boat. Since the individual connections on the terminal strip are isolated (not like a buss bar), is there any reason positive and ground connections could not be mixed on the terminal strip? There are also jumpers available to "gang" adjacent terminals together in one circuit.

Ericson put a 12 volt black bakellite ground buss system in our boat, and every screw on it was taken and some had two wires...
That was why I added a second buss for grounds.

As to why not use a terminal strip for grounds as well as for the individual plus wires... electrically it would work fine. The problem I see is that it's helpful for future work/repairs/upgrades to have the "other side" of the circuits separate on the neg. buss.
Less chance of inadvertently completing or energizing a device with your screwdriver, if nothing else! ;)

Sometimes its best to follow accepted practice.

Regards,
Loren