• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor Locker

tyrguy

Member II
would like to

I would like to put one in ours too. Since we have some rot in the bow area I thought about cutting out the top glass in the shape of the anchor locker lid then building a locker below with a drain. On our previous boat, a Catalina 25, it had a nice locker up front and I think we will copy that design somewhat.
It would be nice to have the anchor up front instead of in the stern lazerette.

Of course this is on that list of repairs or changes that I set down somewhere while I was doing another project and cant seem to find this summer but I'm sure it will show up this winter when we can't sail.

Tbacon

I am in the process of putting the locker in now. i should have it finished in a day or so. the space under the bow that isn't used is perfect for it. the drain was the only real issue since our bow storage areas aren't connected to the bilge. i will post some pics when i get finished.

Glyn Judson

Anchor locker drain.

Dear friend, The factory anchor locker drain in our former Ericson 25+ was nothing more than a nipple in the front, bottom corner of the fiberglass locker box that lead water via a short length of vinyl hose to a hole drilled smack dab in the bow of the hull about a foot or more above the water line. I'm sure that sea water would slosh in and then right out again while under way but can say that it worked well and never allowed water into the bilges or anywhere else for that matter. Unless you're simply using the bare hull as the locker and not a box, you might find that method useful for draining your locker. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A job "well" done

Dear friend, The factory anchor locker drain in our former Ericson 25+ was nothing more than a nipple in the front, bottom corner of the fiberglass locker box that lead water via a short length of vinyl hose to a hole drilled smack dab in the bow of the hull about a foot or more above the water line. I'm sure that sea water would slosh in and then right out again while under way but can say that it worked well and never allowed water into the bilges or anywhere else for that matter. Unless you're simply using the bare hull as the locker and not a box, you might find that method useful for draining your locker. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

A glassed-in anchor well resides on our foredeck, and is drained just like Glyn's excellent description above. I would be inclined to build a drop-in well shape out of 3/16" G-10 laminate pieces and generously glass tape the seams with some biax. Getting the flange attached properly to the underside deck would take some noodling...
Then remove existing core around the cutout and fill with thickened epoxy.

Then, there is the "imagineering" required to fit the new opening around other deck hardware like cleats and whatever.

The new lid could be the piece of surface decking you cut out just the right shape, retaining the nonskid surface pattern to match the foredeck, and maybe needing only a matching coat of lpu paint.
Sounds sooooo easy, from up here in the peanut gallery! :rolleyes:

Please do put up some photos of the project. I betcha a bunch of other owners of classic Ericsons would be interested.

Regards,
Loren