• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A-4 Engine Wanted - Seattle

bayhoss

Member III
Check with Beta Marine (no connection) I think they make a diesel that is a direct replacement.

Best,
Frank

paul culver

Member III
If you want to stay with the A-4 you might want to google up Moyer Marine for a rebuilt engine. I looked into converting to diesel a few years ago and found it too expensive, since more than just the engine needed to be changed out. I ended up having the A-4 rebuilt locally (Oceanside CA).

Paul
E-29 Bear

e38sailorman

Member II
I don't know the guys name but there is an atomic 4 "guru" in the Vancouver BC area, I know a guy who had his atomic 4 rebuilt up in Canada and was very pleased with the result

Marc
E38 WaveWalker

Lucky Dog

Member III
It was either here or at moyer's forum, there was a A-4 on Craig's list in Seattle. I had looked in buy it as back up

ml

Poco A Poco

Member I
Thanks for all of the replies. just missed the one in Fairbanks, AML wanted only $85 to ship it down and it's already crated up ready to go.
I've been a customer of Moyer since I bought the boat and have been watching craigslist from Portland to Vancouver all the time looking for an engine to rebuild.
Having spent 20+ years in the industry, I tend to be a hands on type and look forward to doing the work myself.
The engine in the boat is origional and is a total rustbucket, reaching in and removing the stock fuel pump and filter is a bummer. The water jacket is held on with rust with a little bit of weeping going on and I expect it to blow out at anytime.

Finding an engine to rebuild just seems to be an easier way to go.

Anyone knows of one, please give me a heads up.

Thanks,
Mark

Burt&Elaine

We purchased a re-built short block From Don Moyer and could not be more pleased with the product or service...Burt&Elaine

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The guy in Vancouver is Robert Hess. I thought he'd moved to Toronto, but apparently he's still in BC.
http://hessmarine.ca/

The guy who was in Oceanside, CA is Buck Anderson. He's moved to Barstow, CA and has a shop, a trailer, and a backyard full of Atomic Fours and parts. 760-267-4512 cell, 760-253-1924 home.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
A4 Available

A friend of mine in West Seattle has some A4's and parts available.

His phone is 206 755-8503.

I have no personal interest in this. Just passing info along.

Good Luck with your project.

steven

Sustaining Member
when you replace an A4 with a rebuilt, how much yard labor (that is, not counting the rebuild effort) is involved? Is it straightforward?

Thanks

--Steve

CaptDan

Member III
when you replace an A4 with a rebuilt, how much yard labor (that is, not counting the rebuild effort) is involved? Is it straightforward?

Thanks

--Steve

If you have the standard, aft-settee engine box, R/R-ing an A4 in an E35II is comparatively easy. It can be done with stout crossboards laid over the companion way hatch, with a block and tackle to hoist/lower the engine(s).

I'd recommend doing as much of the prep work yourself - detaching wires, belts, removing mounting bolts, etc. Then, when the old engine is ready to hoist out of the cabin, the shaft is decoupled, pulled aft, and the motor swung up and into the cockpit. Two/three people with relatively healthy backs can pull this off. Of course, a yard will simply use a crane for hoisting, but the more you can do to prep the engine, the more you'll save in yard time.

Caution: one potential snag is the prop shaft; it may be 'frozen' and stubborn - in which case performing this process while the boat is in the water may prove difficult without diver assistance. Also, rusty engine mounts/beds can be problematic (good time to replace those too). This may entail cutting wheels and torches as well. (Been there; done that.;))

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited: