• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Traveler

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Good morning. I am trying to figure out a new traveler. I have a mid-boom sheeting setup and I need a new traveler. The original was an apparently straight section of track that was simply bolted onto the curved bridge across the companionway. I spoke to Garhauer and they told me I needed the pre-bent curved traveler and double car setup to prevent the car from bindin, but I am wondering if that is overkill and the bend is shallow enough that I could get by with a straight track. What have others with similar setups used?

Thanks!

Doug

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Not sure if this photo helps you but it shows my traveler. There is really not that much bend. You might be able to get away with just using some kind of riser pads to get the clearance over the hatch. I have seen a few other E-27's with this traveler, so I assume it must be the original. I am sure what ever you get from Garhauer would be a improvement. I could really use more purchase, but it works for now. Just $$ holding me back. :esad:

Attachments

• traveler.jpg
    traveler.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 350

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks guys, helpful links and photos. Jeff that looks like the setup I did have but in better condition :rolleyes:

I will have to mull it over for awhile until I can get back to the boat.

Doug

dt222

Member III
Close Up

Doug,

Here is a close-up of my traveler (hull #788. I believe it is original. Both the track and the support rail are curved.

HTH

Don

Attachments

• Traveler.jpg
    Traveler.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 282

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I didn't want the curved track business on my replacement. Also I didn't like the original curved support for the track on my E27. So...
I bought a 4"+1.5" 6061 channel from McMaster Car to replace the curved support 48" cut down to 46". The channel shape is faced downward (like lower case "n") with the track mounted to the horizontal flat back (webs facing downward).
I shaped a radius cut in the webs for the hatch (using a template, jig saw, die grinder and file) and had it clear hard anodized. Matched the finish of my winches perfectly. I mounted to the support a Harken 4:1 small boat traveler which has been working fine for the past three years. The small boat load numbers are pushed a bit for mid boon sheeting. However, I asked a Harken rep about my application and he said it should be fine. I reef at 18-20 which keeps the load down and put the second reef in at 25-35. No problems. It even withstood breaking the original boom on a bad jib. Boom was already bending in the middle and corrosion at the middle bail was obvious.
I probably have pictures some where to post later if you are interested. I believe it looks far better that some of the alternatives I have seen on other boats.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Found a traveller

Thanks for the photos of the traveler setups. They look pretty much like my original. I got a Garhauer setup (thanks Craig C.!) with curved track and risers to replace the existing rinky-dink traveler bridge and risers. The Garhauer is a bit oversized for the boat but should work out well and will be a huge improvement over what was there before. And it looks a lot better than the corroding bridge!

Doug

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Cost?

Hi Doug,

I've been thinking about replacing mine as well. What did you end up paying, and could you send what specifically was installed?

Many thanks!

Thanks for the photos of the traveler setups. They look pretty much like my original. I got a Garhauer setup (thanks Craig C.!) with curved track and risers to replace the existing rinky-dink traveler bridge and risers. The Garhauer is a bit oversized for the boat but should work out well and will be a huge improvement over what was there before. And it looks a lot better than the corroding bridge!

Doug

outahere

Member II
I didn't want the curved track business on my replacement. Also I didn't like the original curved support for the track on my E27. So...
I bought a 4"+1.5" 6061 channel from McMaster Car to replace the curved support 48" cut down to 46". The channel shape is faced downward (like lower case "n") with the track mounted to the horizontal flat back (webs facing downward).
I shaped a radius cut in the webs for the hatch (using a template, jig saw, die grinder and file) and had it clear hard anodized. Matched the finish of my winches perfectly. I mounted to the support a Harken 4:1 small boat traveler which has been working fine for the past three years. The small boat load numbers are pushed a bit for mid boon sheeting. However, I asked a Harken rep about my application and he said it should be fine. I reef at 18-20 which keeps the load down and put the second reef in at 25-35. No problems. It even withstood breaking the original boom on a bad jib. Boom was already bending in the middle and corrosion at the middle bail was obvious.
I probably have pictures some where to post later if you are interested. I believe it looks far better that some of the alternatives I have seen on other boats.
Can you post the pics, I'd like to see them

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Here is a shot of the new traveler in the process of being installed. I had to move the uprights outboard a little more than originally anticipated to make room for lines coming from the mast, so I was only able to use 3 of the possible 4 bolt holes holding the track on. But they're 5/16, so they should hold just fine!

Doug

IMG_20100821_133426.jpg

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hey Doug,

I just got back from my boat and having just looked at my traveller with dismay (again), I'm seriously envious of your setup. Looks like you were working on other things in that picture. That's a nice looking companionway hatch too. Did you make that? That's one of the things I just pulled off my boat a few minutes ago....PO used plywood without sealing it, and now it's delaminted. SIGH :esad:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Ignacio- Thanks! Yes this is a complete 2.5 year rebuild of an E27 so I have the advantage of being able to put all sorts of new goodies on the boat. I have been documenting it at www.plasticclassicforum.com under Projects/E27 Project. You can find details of the hatch construction there. Lots of good advice there for all sorts of projects. Alot I would do differently with the hatch, though. There are a bunch of hatch threads on here about building new hatches.

Good luck with your project!

Doug

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks good Doug. the proportions look right, it does not look over sized (aesthetically).

Is that a new racing set-up for the traveler to return to center? ;-)