• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

marine air requires cutting lazerette

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The Marine air unit I want to install requires a larger opening than my E-29 lazerette has I need to expand the cockpit lazerette opening to 13 ½” wide which would be cutting ¾” off the lip on both sides (there is about 1” of lip on. Does anyone see a reason this could not safely be done? I would cut the lip and then sand to remove the rough edges.
Also I plan to install a Y in the galley sink drain to supply water to cool the air conditioner condenser rather than add another through hull. Does anyone see a problem with this configuration as long as the Y is below water line?

jkenan

Member III
I wouldn't pull water from the sink drain, because you could also be pulling into your AC bits of egg, coffee grounds, cocktail limes, and whatever else goes down your sink. Instead, I would set up a manifold for your raw water intake that would serve both your engine and your AC. You could close the AC while the engine is running, and close the Engine while the AC is running.

For my raw water manifold, I used the approach used by Anzam1 (Brian Cleverly, who is documenting a restoration of a Fuji 32 at http://www.anzam.com/images/fuji/project/work_begins/welcome.htm, and the manifold config can be seen here: http://www.anzam.com/images/fuji/project/work_begins/water_manifold001.jpg). There is a discussion on this board about this topic at http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showpost.php?p=43535&postcount=42

In my installation, the water is strained first, then hits the manifold which serves the engine, and head, and I have a third spare available (perhaps for AC down the road?). It is made of 3/4-inch Sch80 PVC. To reduce vibration, I wrapped all attachment points on the manifold with foam rubber. It works like a charm. If the use of Sch80 PVC ever becomes a concern, I can always rebuild the manifold with bronze fittings and seacocks (for a lot more $$$). The photo below shows a very preliminary installation on my E29.

This is my suggestion. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• RawWaterManifold.JPG
    RawWaterManifold.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 113

CSMcKillip

Randy, I assume that you got the blower working?

1. Instructions state not to install the unit in or near the engine or bilge compartment, the unit requires a supply to the unit from the cabin which is cooled air, the return air is directy taken from the unit and does not have ducting, so it is using the compartment as the duct. Just make sure that the fumes from your A4 will not conflict with the unit, the last thing you want is to fill the cabin with gas fumes. I think with the unit mounted in the rear compartment will act like your blower for the engine. You could build the unit in a sealed box then run a return duct to the cabin to draw air.

2. The water supply needs a thru hull, you can take the water supply from the sink but I would add a valve, this way if someone pumps on the sink faucet it will not take water from the air conditioner water supply. The pump also needs to be under the water line as it is not a self priming unit.

Fiberglass is a wonderfull thing to work with, you can remove and replace.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

E33MikeOx

Member II
I had a similar problem with seat hatch access when I replaced my water heater in our E-33. The opening was too small to get the old unit out, and too small to get the new unit in. The solution was either to remove the engine; or, (my choice) to make the opening bigger by cutting out part of the vertical panel - about 3 inches by the width of the hatch opening. Fiberglass flanges were added to the removed piece so it could be re-installed with small machine screws. Good result! With the seat hatch closed, none of the alterations are visible. I wish I could say "I done it myself", but the truth is I paid a very excellent craftsman to do it. OTOH, I believe this sort of a project cold be a DIY. Personally, I have managed to avoid gaining the knowledge, skills and techniques to work with fiberglass. Remember, "Your mileage may vary".

Mike Oxborrow
E-33 JP Foolish hull #25

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Mike
Unfortunately I am high mileage when it comes to experience in most mechanical, paint and fiberglass work. I will be at the boat this weekend and can do more research on the possibility of widening the opening.