• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Datamarine LINK 5000

CSMcKillip

Hello all, I am looking for information on the Link 5000 by datamarine. I have existing datamarine verges on our boat right now and am trying to keep it vintage as possible, I have the depth, speed and wind gauges on the boat right now and purchased a complete link 5000 system that was just refurbished by DMI or datamarine back in 07.

I am looking for a instruction manual for the unit, I have manuals for the depth, speed and wind 4" guages but am looking for link 5000 documentation.

I have searched the Internet and have emailed Around 5 different outlets, hoping someone here might have a copy laying around.

Any help would be great

CSMcKillip

Chris - I assume you did contact DMI.

http://www.dmimarine.com/

Yes, I contacted DMI about the user manual, the PO of the units I purchased said he had a copy but did not know the exact place he put them, I got online and searched all the threads related to Datamarine Link 5000 and hit another couple of sources but have had no luck so far. One of our members did have the manuals but just sold his boat and he was going to check and see if the new owner would make me a copy? I also contacted Stu thru the C34 site, also a member at Catalina 25 Capri 25 site and he forwarded the user manua for the Wind guages.

I have the manuals for the Speed, Depth and Wind from Datamarine - included when we purchased the units new, DMI did state the tranducers will trade out, or are the same so I will not have to remove the thru hul just the tranducer when I install the new units.

Looking at the LInk 5000 unit I have the following:
Wind Guage
Compass
(2) COMP Slave units
One Unit that attaches to the Edison Wheel
One Unit that installs at the nav station

I also got all new thru hulls, tranducers, wires, ect. The system was checked by Datamarine and was going to be installed in a Newport 30. I am planning on setting up a bench with 12v power and running thru the wires and see what I need to do to reinstall over our existing system from Datamarine.

Everything but the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Ah, you're desperate. That adds interest to the negotiations. :)

I'll take a look when I go back to the boat. If I have it I won't be near a copy machine until I get home again in another week or so.

CSMcKillip

Ah, you're desperate. That adds interest to the negotiations. :)

I'll take a look when I go back to the boat. If I have it I won't be near a copy machine until I get home again in another week or so.

You are so correct Tom, I am assuming that you have the Link 5000 system on your boat as well. How about a friendly review of what I am getting myself into.

I will gladly pay in Grog :egrin:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Chris - I have the central unit and the remote at the wheel, but do not have the individual meters. The remote is powered by, and supplied signals by a single coaxial cable. The transducers feed into the central unit.

I seriously doubt if I have any documentation covering the separate meters.

johnwmcc

I recently purchased a 1987 Ericson 35 with the same Data Marine Link 5000 system. Had DMI replace all of the LCD's in the remote unit. I am also searching for the owners manual or any documentation. Would greatly appreciate any help.

John McCaskill

CSMcKillip

Please help

I got the units yesterday and I really need some help. The main unit has inputs for the wind, depth, and speed, alarm, power, ect. There is only ONE output that is a BNC connector. I have 5 displays to hook up.

For the love of peat can someone exain what or how this books up. My best guess is that one cable ( what kind?) runs to the aft side of the boat, then hits some kind of HUB then out to the rest of the units.

Someone please shed some light on how these things work.........

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Chris & John - I Just got back from the lake with the Link 5000 manual. it is too big to fit on my copier so I'll have to go to Office Max to copy it. It's 50 pages so it will be a PITA to copy and then scan. I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

In the meantime, the manual refers to a "Link Network" which on the system layout diagram shows it as the coax coming out of the main unit, going through a tee with one leg going to the 550 remote (at the wheel). The other end of the tee is shown as being open. There is no info on any other remotes.

I would gather from this that all of the remotes are connected with BNC tees. The remotes are powered through the coax.

Emerald

This just sounds like an old style 10Base2 aka thinnet ethernet network. Simple stuff - just need to get BNC and T's - I am assuming that the instruments serve as terminators on the cable ends (or it's not even an issue the way DMI implemented).

Of course, take this all with a grain of salt, as I've not seen any of these instruments hands on, so maybe deposit a hay penny if desired :egrin:

CSMcKillip

Thanks Tom, I have some cables in hand, and I am going to power them up and see what I can do to get them up and running.

Feeling like a fool, but happy that you have the manuals.

Thanks Tim,

CSMcKillip

Well they work!!!!.

Inwent over to the radio shack down the street and picked up (2) 12' BNC cables that rated at 50. I also got a "T" to extend the BNC to the next guage. I took my riding lawn mower battery out and attached it to an extra power panel I had in the garage that was fused. I first checked the main unit by supplying power and checked all the buttons and LCD.

Everything checked out Ok. I then attached the larger helm unit to the BNC and it powered up. I then took the other gauges and added the second BNC to the Helm guages, low and behold everything turned on and seemed ok.

I have 1 set of tranducers already on the boat, and another set that is brand new here at the house.

Thank you all for the replies on the cables, you know even today gauges seem to have a thousand wires, even the old datamarine gauges I have on the boat right now have at least 3 wires coming into the units plus the BNC or the RCA jacks from the tranducer. Datamarine sure made this unit simple to get setup and the addition of a guage is simple to due by running one wire.

I am looking forward in reading the manual, thanks Tom again for making a copy for me.

It's a great feeling to be part of the Ericson family.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Speaking of manuals, I need the installation material for the Link 5000 fluxgate compass. It is the Datamarine L-500 Fluxgate compass sensor KVH 912012

CSMcKillip

Speaking of manuals, I need the installation material for the Link 5000 fluxgate compass. It is the Datamarine L-500 Fluxgate compass sensor KVH 912012

Hopefully the setup directions will be in the 50 page manual Tom is running off for us. There seems to be three wites that hook up on mine out of the 12+ wires coming out of the unit, red wire to the red power input, white wire to compass + and black wire to compass -.

These were the only wires that were stripped and had crimps on them, and my very uneducated quess.

I will run some searches and see what I can find.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have now scanned the Link 5000 owner's manual. It is much to big to attach here, >5 mb.

It includes the installation of the L-500 compass.

I would appreciate it if someone could put it into the Resource section of this site (Loren?).

I will send the PDF file to anyone who needs it before it gets posted on the site. Send me an email: trmetzger-at-earthlink.net

sailingdeacon

Member III
I dug out my Link 5000 manual, 50 pages. It describes the use of the compass and includes the wiring as you described - on page 7. But a key concern is on page 23 , Compass Installation, where it describes a manual "shipped with the optional L-500 compass - with detailed installation instructions. I am mainly concerned with how close it can be installed to other equipment and how to properly swing the compass, as mentioned on page 44. I see from an image of it that the compass has two adjustments, a E-W and a N-S adjustment.

So... we both need that optional manual. I am contacting DMI repair to see if they can provide the compass manual.

CSMcKillip

Steve is out at DMI till next week, read the asthmuth 1000 installation manual from KVH.

On another note my compass was made by "sailcomp" not KVH, guess they got bought out.

How do you both like the Link System?
What is the difference in the 5000 vs the 5100, manual said the 5100 has a LCD?

I have a 5000, and it does have a LCD display?

Thanks everyone, I can sleep now.