• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Laura Dekker allowed to sail.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I saw that too. At least she hasn't struck the side of any freighters yet, so perhaps she does know how to sail.

The thing about these stories that worries me is just how much is this driven by the kid, and how much by the parents (usually the dad). It's not like subjecting your kids to soccer, or piano lessons - this could really get them killed. Is 14 old enough to really make that decision?

I wish her all the best.

Emerald

Hear where you're coming from Steve, and I feel also one must ask is it fair to put on the line all the people's lives who might be involved in a more than likely rescue attempt....? I know this can get debated all over the place, and it's not my interest to start one, but I'm sitting here feeling like where did all this teenage solo circumnavigation activity come from? I don't feel like I remember this 10 years ago, and now every time we turn around it feels like there's another one. Is this a false security from technology like GPS and EPIRBs that makes people think, what the heck I'll go for it and get rescued if needed? Dunno - just kinda makes me wonder as we've had a lot of this recently.