• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing pressurized water system pump

therapidone

Member III
I have an '87 Ericson 30+. We bought it used, and it had a Shurflo water pump for the pressurized water system (galley and head). This pump appears to have died. I went to Shurflo's site to see if I could find the model number and came up empty. The model number is 220-223-34. It has a nipple on the inlet side and a threaded end on the outlet side. Attached to the threaded end was an elbow fixture/nipple to which the hose was attached. The inlet side was straight and the hose attached directly to the nipple (hose clamps were used on both sides). Any ideas on a replacement for this pump?

Regards,

Ed

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My 30+ has a pump that I believe is not original; when I get down there this weekend I can check the model number. Out of curiosity, where is your pump located? Do you also have an accumulator tank and if so, what size and where is it located?

I do recall the label on the pump lists the voltage, amps, output in GPM, etc. You could check yours and try to find a current model that matches it. The inlet and outlet fittings may be different.

Last edited:

therapidone

Member III
30+ pressurized water pump location

Mark:
The location of the pump is in the battery compartment under the area where one would sit while at the nav desk (quarterberth) on the aft wall.

I'm 99.9% sure that there is no accumulator tank (there isn't a whole lot of extra space in these boats--where could it possibly be?) b/c when the pump worked, it kicked in either when a tap was opened or shortly afterwards.

Despite writing the model number down, I did not throw away the old pump. I'll get the numbers you suggest off it tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Ed

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
It's apparently important to note the size of your current pump (gallons per minute/number of taps being serviced) and stay fairly close to that. If you go too small, you won't get enough pressure, especially if more than one tap is open; if you go too large, that causes problems too.

Shureflow pumps are still in business, so you should be able to find the exact replacement; if not, you could likely use another manufacturer and modify as needed (maybe new holes drilled, etc.).

Good luck!

Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks, Ed. My pump is also in the battery compartment; seems like a strange place for it. I also have no accumulator tank but was thinking it might be nice and was trying to imagine where it might fit. You're sure right about there not being a whole lot of extra room in the 30+.