• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 fuel tank

steven

Sustaining Member
My fuel tank is in good condition, except there is corrosion in the forward starb. corner. Anyone know if this can be corrected without removing the tank (or the engine)? For example, is there some sort of gloop that can be added though the fill? I think it is the original and made of Monel.

Thanks

--Steve

Tom Plummer

Member III
The short answer is yes, there is and it should be available at your friendly Ace Hardware store.

But, is that a wise thing to do? These sorts of repairs are fine for cars because their tanks in on enclosed space. If the repair fails and experience tells me they do sometimes fail then the leak and the fumes from it leak outside of the car. In a boat they do not if you have a gas engine the fumes could reach explosive levels rapidly and if it is diesel the cleanup of a bilge full of diesel is no fun.

The good news is that the standard fuel tank on an E35Mk2 will come out through the starboard cockpit locker with out cutting the glass. If yours is like mine there is a deep well at the aft end of the locker. The sides of the well are made of plywood the aft and inboard sides of mine were screwed in place and thus easily removed. The forward end was glassed to the box that my hot water heater sits on I had to cut that one down to the contours of the box that it is glassed to and then the tank came right out I had one fabricated locally. It took me about 3 hours to do the actual removal of the old tank and then installation of new slightly larger tank. It is really not a big job to do.

steven

Sustaining Member
Tom,

Looks like mine is set up the same way. That's really great news. Tank is not leaking but with it that easy to get at, might as well replace.

What did you fabricate the new one from - Monel (Nickel-Copper)? SS ?

Much thanks for the advice.

--Steve

Tom Plummer

Member III
The new tank is SS and holds about 4 more gallons. They made it just a litle oversized but since I intended to replace the plywood base that the tank mounts to anyway it was no big deal and the 20% increase in capacity is nice.