• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

starter motor...

rhewitt

Member II
Yesterday the starter motor on our Sea Scout boat '88 E34, "No Bad Days" x25 was burnt up... do ask how, I know not.
Here in Nicaragua no one will rebuild or rewind so can anyone direct me to a place where we can purchase a rebuilt or should I go ahead and buy a new one.$$$?

Thanks, Ralph in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If you can hook me up with a job down there, maybe I can hook you up with a starter...

:)

Looked at some of your pictures and get the impression you are from Texas; me, too!

rhewitt

Member II
hook me up man...

This is a super place to live and work. Most of the expats that come here and reinvent themselves. You can come here and do any work you wish. What would make you happy? A starter motor for the "Sea Scout" boat would make us happy.
How can I help?
Thanks,
Ralph

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.tractorsmart.com/enter.htm

I seem to remember that others here have provided the block codes/numbers for the various series of Kubota's that have been marinized by Universal. I wonder if the starter motor is the same as the one on the tractor models?

The starter brand may well be same as the one used on my '88 M25XP, and be a Nippon-Densu. My starter was completely rebuilt in '01 for a tad over $100.

Good luck on this.

Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I looked at the Torresen Marine links and it appears the Universal starter #299512 is used in several engines. I also looked at the API Marine starter #17051 they list for $228. Then I found this link for Kubota tractor parts:

http://www.psep.biz/store/kubota_tractors_b20_thru_b6200t_starter_motors.htm

Only $89.95. Looks like their part #AHSND0242 is also used in a lot of those engines.

Torresen is insane for the prices they want for some of that stuff. They wanted $244 for an oil pressure light/buzzer that I bought for $23 from Jamestown Distributors.

Seems like the Kubota starter would be the way to go; just match up the Kubota engine # with the Universal engine #. Not sure what the possible difference could be between a "marine" starter from API and the Kubota starter...

Also found this:

How do I know which Kubota engine I have?
Universal diesels are Kubota tractor engines. You just need to know the Kubota model number that is stamped on the dipstick. The following are Universal Marine/ Kubota tractor diesel designations:
M15/5411 Z-500
M18 Z-600
M25 D-850
M25XP D-950 the engine number off my dipstick is 5377-36412
M3-20 D640
M30 D-1101
Kubota parts online: http://www.tractorsmart.com the 25XP is a "B" series tractor engine.

And this history of Univeral engines:

http://www.catalina30.com/New/History of the Universal Motor Company 4.htm

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My info is that the Kubota part # for the starter is 15231-63015 based on the B-20 or the B-1750 tractors with D-950 blocks (M25XP). Search on the kubota part #.

The prices are all over the lot.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
A starter from a '79 Ford Bronco was a perfect match for my 5424. They gotta have something like that - remove the starter and take it to the local auto parts store and find a match?

rhewitt

Member II
Thanks Jason for the idea... but you must remember I am in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua! We have a Texaco station that pumps gas and sells oil & ice sometimes.
To all of you that responded a BIG thanks.
Wow I sure have found the cost all over the sheet... right now I am waiting to see if my mechanic from Managua can do me any good on getting it rebuilt... he is shopping around to all the auto Elc. shops mostly shade tree type operations, only one that I know that can rewind and they will not price until they do the work and see that it is OK.

Looks like I will go with a after market one and have it brought down (from the US) by folks staying in our hotel. Any takers? We make special deals for those that transport items for us... take a look www.parkavenuevillas.com

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I might be interested in doing something like that, but I couldn't do it until after September. I have a couple of freelance projects I am working on until then. I have been wanting to check out Costa Rica and now you've got me thinking about Nicaragua, too.

I am guessing one would fly into Managua and take ground transportation to San Juan del Sur. How long does it take from Managua?