• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 cable steering

unequaltee

Member II
Hi, I am in the processof rebuilding a 35 here in the UK, I am curently into the guts of the yacht specialties cable steering and wondered if anyone could tell me why the wire after leaving the pedestal goes around 2 pulley's on the port side but 3 on the starboard side before going to the quadrant, giving unequal wire lengths. This has been the arangement from new. Are they all like this? I cannot see any reason for it. any help much apreciated.:rolleyes:

nazdravi

E-35-2 SHort Pedestal Steering aassemble

If your E 35-2 is like mine, hull# 164 built in 1970, it has a split cockpit with shortened pedestal mounted on a bridge deck with main traveler forward. This arrangement was manufactured for Ericson by Edson Marine of Bedford, MA. (Edson International • 146 Duchaine Blvd. New Bedford, MA 02745 • Tel: 508-995-9711 • Fax: 508-995-5021 • info@edsonintl.com)

I had the pleasure of repairing my pedestal and pulley assembly because the cable slipped off especially during stress of excessive weather helm in heavy winds of San Francisco Bay. The weather helm is characteristic of the 35-2, mostly due to the undersized rudder design.

Upon close inspection below, I found that the entire carriage frame for cables, quadrant & pulleys had a few rusted bolts which would lift up with excessive heal, causing the cable to slacken and thus the chain would jump a few teeth or fall off inside the pedestal, all together. The frame needed to be re-epoxied & glassed securely back to the hull, pulleys greased & tension adjusted. The emergency tiller came in handy from time to time.

This was my first experience with epoxy and fiberglass so it is not pretty but it has held solid with no problems for nine years. I will crawl around this weekend and snap a few shots to email you next week.

I do not remember if she has more than two pulleys but I have attached a pdf link to Edson International that shows two pedestal configurations; one for short pedestal bridge deck system and the other for deck mounted full size pedestal.

www.edsonmarine.com/support/wheel_conversion/pdfs/S-317.pdf

www.edsonmarine.com/support/wheel_conversion/pdfs/S-1908.pdf

I have repaired many issues common to Ericson’s of this vintage. I will be glad to share what I have learned.

Cheers,
Dave Bergen
NaZdravi
E35-2 #164 St. Pete Beach, FL

unequaltee

Member II
Many thanks for the information and the links. It sounds the same set up as mine with the short pedestal . I would be interested to know if yours has the extra pulley on the starboard side. But as the Edson drawing doesn't show it, I cant see the point in re fitting it, less is best! I can only asume it was there to take the cable away from something that has since been removed or was an option.
As the outside gel coat was showing signs of stress around the mountings for the steering cable pulleys, I have chosen to scrap all the rusty steelwork and build a 3/4" plywood box that is glassed to the hull and cockpit above. Time will tell if I have done the right thing! I will take a photo and would appreciate any coments.

Farlander

Member II
I have 4 sheaves (pulleys) total, 2 guide sheaves attached just under the pedastal base, and 2 more turning shaves port and starboard, which are positioned to line up with the quadrant.

The system has worked fine for 50 years but now the metal tabbing to the hull is rusting out and I need advice on how to repair! The yard that dropped my rudder overtightened the steering cabeles on reinstallation and the sheave brackets have broken off and/or are coming loose. Thanks in advance!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you have a 1970 35 II, it would have a Merriman / Yacht Specialties pedestal as original equipment, not Edson. A typical arrangement had 2 idler pulleys just under the pedestal with the cables routed to 2 turning blocks before attaching to the quadrant. Sometimes alternate arrangements included extra pulleys to accomodate a below decks auto pilot. Some pedestals even came equipped with a sprocket for a chain drive autopilot as an option. Somewhere on this site is a Yacht Specialties catalog that might be helpful.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Also, see this one from the Resources Section, top of each page here on EY.org. There is a lot of info there!