• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted Ericson 32' Mk-III

dbruckne

I saw photos of a 1986 32' Mk-III and fell in love. I'm looking for the same (or similar) for a live-aboard in the Seattle area. Anyone know of something on the market in the general area? A 34' or 36' would also be intriguing if I can afford it. If you prefer you can e-mail me directly at david@sailingnw.com. Thanks!!!
david

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Choices and options

I saw photos of a 1986 32' Mk-III and fell in love. I'm looking for the same (or similar) for a live-aboard in the Seattle area. Anyone know of something on the market in the general area? A 34' or 36' would also be intriguing if I can afford it. If you prefer you can e-mail me directly at david@sailingnw.com. Thanks!!!
david

Hi David,
Welcome to the conversation!
I have some friends with an Ericson 32-3, and have even done a delivery down the WA coast on it. Solid comfortable boat with an easy motion in big seas.
As to your being intrigued by a 34' or 36' you might want to consider the different interior layouts in these boats and whether one fits your needs better than another. :nerd:

Some folks like the forward head arrangement interior and others prefer the head aft.
In the Ericson line, you will find an aft head in the 32-200, 1980's 34, and the 38-200. Also our Olson 34. Most others will have the head forward, and the E-35-3 even has a separate shower forward as well. FWIW that model would be high on my list for a live aboard.

An aside: Too bad you did not snap up that O-34 at Shillshole that sold this spring.

For a lot of boat for the $, with a traditional forward head interior layout, there is a late 70's Ericson 34 languishing in Portland. That's the earlier hull design. That one needs some cleanup and the teak needs refinishing, but still.... :rolleyes:

Also, do not overlook the classic E-35-2. I would also council you to look over one of the Ron Holland Ericson 33 or 36 designs, but they are very rare on the market. Both have lots of storage and tankage and beautiful teak interiors.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Love our 32!!

David,

Good luck with your search for an E32-III. I found "Vesper", our E32-III, in the parking lot (on the hard of course) one winter right were we usually park our car during the sailing season. We were looking to size up from our Hunter 285 (a fun boat) and I was struck by the wonderful lines of the E32-III. The boat is laid out in a very comfortable way and we get compliments about her all the time from people just walking down the dock and not knowing about the Ericson line and even from those who do.

She''s a dream to sail and I often single hand. I find the "S" curved helm seat very comfortable when we're healed. The only thing that might be better would be to own a E36 so that we could have a large head and stand alone shower.

I know that I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I just can't help myself. ;)

dbruckne

repower?

Loren/Bob,
Thanks for the information!!!! I'm waiting for info on an E-35 ('86?) that is for sale. It has an Atomic-4 and the debate is whether I can afford to have it repowered. Any suggestions on someone to ask in the Seattle area? I saw the thread about whether an Atomic-4 should be replaced or not, but am still inclined to consider it depending on the drawbacks. Any thoughts? I appreciate everyone's input!
dave

Mindscape

Member III
Atomic 4?

I'm suprised an '86 35 has an A4. My 85 32 has a diesel. Anyone know if the '86 35 came with and A4?

CaptDan

Member III
An '86 E-35-III would have come from the factory with a Universal diesel. Unless a PO replaced it with an Atomic 4 (pretty unlikely), this sounds like an older ('69-'81) 35-II.

-Roger

I have to concur. Far as I know, the swan song era of the A4 was around<>1983. But don't quote me. So the boat in question is quite likely an E35II - a design I'm somewhat partial to..:egrin:

As to whether the A4 should be replaced, well - it really depends on many factors. The primary consideration is the condition of the engine, of course; then - in no particular order, the litany of other criteria - including intended use of the boat (coastal cruising/daysailing), purchase price, and whether one is intimidated by real (and imagined) downsides of carrying a gas power plant in the bilge.

Capt Dan G> E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

dbruckne

the big debate....

Thanks for the input. The person I spoke with wasn't positive about the year so from what everyone says it is probably an '81 to '83. Unfortunately the sellers just left for a month trip on the boat so I won't get a chance to check it out. A 32' came on the market that sounds nice and the question becomes how well can I live on a 32' for the next several years? I was in Peace Corp and lived in a small adobe hut for 2 years so I think I'll be adaptable, but the extra room and separate shower stall on the 35' sounds inviting.

I'm planning on living aboard and sailing around Puget Sound and into Canada. Not likely that I'll be doing any bluewater sailing. But at 50, will I want a little extra room when I'm pushing 60? I realize everything is a trade-off.

If anyone with a 32' or a 35' in the Puget Sound is going out for a day, I would love to join if possible. Food, drinks, chocolate, etc. would be provided!
Dave
david@sailingnw.com

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Dave,

We have an E30+, and my wife occasionally suggests we consider buying a larger boat for the times when we sail with adult married kids or another couple, which we do fairly often. While a bit more space, including storage space, would be convenient, I doubt we'll buy a larger boat. The main reason is that I singlehand quite alot and at age 59, I can manage this boat nicely--raising and flaking the mainsail, snugging jib sheets, reefing in a blow and bringing her into the dock and stopping her if I have slightly misjudged speed, wind or current at the marina. I'm not sure that I could do all this with a larger boat, especially when I'm a few years older. I definitely don't have the same strength as I did when I was 50, despite healthy living and regular exercize.

While you can't really buy a boat now with strong consideration to whether you can manage it 15 years from now when you are 65, it may nevertheless be worth thinking about how you will use this boat, whether you will sail her yourself, and what size boat you can manage when the winds pick up unexpectedly.

Good luck with your decision!

Frank