• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Shower Curtain Track

aquavit

Member II
My 28 was built with the optional shower. The curtain track is still on the ceiling in the head as well as the tie-backs and snaps for the curtain. The curtain and hooks are not in the boat and I would like to replace them. There are two things I am not sure of;

1) I am not sure what type of hook or glide is supposed to be used in the track. The track itself is an extruded square channel in cross section with a slot in the bottom that I assume accepts some type of glide.

2) Does anyone make shower curtains specifically for marine applications or is it a do it yourself project to get one to fit properly?

All knowledge appreciated.

Glenn, Aquavit.

bayhoss

Member III
Glenn, Could you post some pictures of your shower. I'm thinking of adding one to my 28.

Thank you,
Frank

aquavit

Member II
Bayhoss;

The complete shower system consists of a drain in the floor that leads to a well in the TAFG, drained by a dedicated bilge pump. The on/off (manual and auto) for the pump is located on the starboard wall of the head above the sink. The shower head was originally a Grohe faucet in the sink with an extension handle. The PO had replaced this faucet with a non-extension type but I have two new SHURflo #135-0204-CW faucets on order. One is for the head and the other for the galley sink. The galley sink faucet was originally intended to double as a cockpit shower. The shower handle latches onto the head wall using SHURflo #131-0212-CP bracket. The shower curtain was designed to pull across the door and attach to the aft wall of the head using 2 poppers which are still on the wall. There are two retaining straps located in the port / fore corner of the head where the shower curtain stows when not in use. I need to make or purchase a new shower curtain although I would much prefer to just purchase one. I will be on the boat on Sunday and can take detail pictures of each of these items for you if you want.

Glenn

aquavit

Member II
Today I picked up my new SHURflo 135-0204-CW faucets from West Marine, who were the only Distributor in Canada that SHURflo could give me a contact for. Now I have to get a small rant off my chest, but not against West Marine.

One of the things that I like most about my boat is that the longer I own it and the more I look into the construction of it, the more impressed I am with the quality of the construction and of the parts that it was made with. It is all USA, or European origin and the quality is there. When I purchased my new faucets, I tried to find the best quality that I could without making price a factor so imagine how I felt when I pulled the new faucets out of the box and there is a small "Made In China" sticker on the bottom of them. Is there no American Made option available anymore at any price? I would hate to buy a new boat and find it riddled with low-cost imported parts.

OK, rant over. The faucets do look nice and well made, but they will always irritate me.

Glenn (Aquavit), who owns and runs a Canadian machine shop and is a bit touchy on this subject.

stobias

"Alibi"
curtain

Glenn and Frank, Several years ago, I made a really nice shower curtain for my E 28. I used a RECMAR track (4104) with small roller guides (4121). For mounting, I used the wall mounts (4124) becuase of the soft headliner, that I wanted to avoid disturbing. Here is the url: http://www.recmar.com/tracks/products_4104.htm
Sailrite carries it, but they only show 48" on their website. RECMAR only sells quantity wholesale, but perhaps they can steer you to a dealer that stocks 72". I really like this track, as opposed to the square section, because it was very easy to bend, without crimping, around a large fire extinguisher, which gave the perfect (approx. 3")radius. Also, the wheeled guides slid really well.
For a curtain, I got a shower curtain liner (thin and inexpensive). Actually, I think that I got 2 36" curtains and sewed them together. The height did have to be cut.
I bent the rod into a c-shape, the full width and length of the ceiling, with the open side facing the aft bulkhead, which is impervious to water. When not in use, I stowed the curtain behind the toilet. To fasten the curtain to the guides, I used 1/2" cotter rings, like one would use on a clevis pin. I used this rig for the five years that I owned the boat, and was very happy with it!
As I recall, the origional curtain that came on the boat only covered the teak door. My curtain kept the entire head dry, including the toilet.

Last edited:

stobias

"Alibi"
Glenn and Frank, I forgot to mention; this was the second boat that I did the same shower curtain configuration on. The first was a 1990 Beneteau 350. This boat had a much larger shower/head compartment, so the track was much larger, but also worked very well for the 5 years that I owned that boat as well. It was well proven and I highly recommend Recmer's stuff.
Also, the shower curtain liner is available at most department or housewares stores. They are pre-punched along the top to accept the hardware.
What's really neat is if you leave the curtain slightly long at the toilet, you can push the material over the toilet and use it as a shower stool, and still not get it wet! Even if you don't leave it long, you will only wet the base.
I had put central A/C on both of these boats, with a small vent in the head compartment. After a couple of hours, the whole thing, along with towels, would be completely dry.
You need to be very meticulous with the shower sump as it gets really funky quickly because of the fresh water, soap, etc.