• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Seeking to Sail an Ericson 35-3

Art

Member I
My wife and I are in the market for a larger boat and will be looking at some Ericson 35-3's listed on Yachtworld along the NE coast and Long Island Sound. We would like to take a test sail, but the brokers won't do so without a signed contract. So, we're wondering if there are any 35-3 owners on the NE coast who would be willing to take us out for a short sail to see how the boat handles. We will be glad to bring food and libations. We will be on vacation the last week of July and the first week of August. Some of that time will be spent looking at boats and some time will be spent cruising our Ericson 29 on Lake Champlain. Thanks very much, Art & Claire

stm

stm
I keep my boat in Annapolis and sail there on most weekends. It's been very hot lately, but drop me a line if your near Annapolis and I would be glad to take you out.

Art

Member I
Thanks

Thanks for the kind offer. I doubt that we will get that far south on our search, but will be in touch if we do. Let's hope the weather cools off a bit. Quite hot here in Vermont as well.
Regards,
Art

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Just a little too late. STM's boat used to be in Portland until I sold her in April. I would have also given you a sail. I can tell you about some of the characteristics though.

The 35-3 is extremely fast. Not J-boat fast. In fact I think the only similar sized boat I ever lost a race to was either a J-boat or another Ericson. She is a little tender at first but settles in nicely at about 15°. You can sail her as high as 25° apparent but will fly at about 30°. She is not great DW though, especially in larger seas. The long fin keel tends to make her not track well DW.

Sailing a later model E34 will also give you the same experience as an E35-3. I imagine a later E38 would also be similar.

Art

Member I
E35-3 Sailing Characteristics

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the response and summary of the E35-3's sailing characteristics. I sailed a 34-2 last summer on Lake Champlain so the comparison is very helpful.
Art

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
If you would consider an E38 I have one for sale. You are welcome to come and go for a sail, short or long, and see what its like. No strings attached. I actually would welcome an opinion on the boat from an Ericson owner regarding my pricing, the added value, if any, of the work I have put into her. RT

Art

Member I
E38 Sail/For Sale

Thanks for the offer. My wife and I will be on vacation the last week of July and first week of August and will be viewing boats during that period. We may take you up on your offer and will be in touch.
Art

tonymic

Hi Art,

I'm about to put my Ericson 35 III for sail. It's a 1983 Rebuilt engine with less than 300 hours, 3 season North sail Main with lazy jacks and quick pack, Head sail 2 season has reef marks for roller furler 100%-120 & 135. If you would like to come for a sail the boat is moored in Wickford, RI If you are interested email me at tonym@amvac.com

Tony