• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow Light

Czech Mate

Member II
As usual, if something can go wrong, it is almost certain to. Went to put a new lamp in my port bow light last Saturday. I first very carefully removed the screws making sure I didn't lose them. Next proceeded to start removing the cover and lens. Didn't want to come off easily so I thought I would use a small screw driver to gently work it off. With the first small twist with the screw driver, the cover and lens pop up about 6" in the air and over the side in about 12' of water. So, it looks like I've got two choices, either find a new one or take my mask and fins down to the boat this weekend and see if I can get lucky finding it. The first option sounds more appealing to me.

The light is from a 1975 E32-2. The base and lamp holder that the cover fit over is about 2 1/8" in diameter with 3 screw holes. Anybody have any idea where I might be able to find one of these little guys or perhaps who the manufacturer was? It would be great to find one that is identical so I can replace just the cover and lens and not the entire light. Otherwise a swim is probably in order. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• rsz_dscn2031.JPG
    rsz_dscn2031.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 60
  • rsz_dscn2032.JPG
    rsz_dscn2032.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 64

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One nice thing about those old Perko "eyebrow" style lights is that they sold so many of 'em. You will often find some at a used boat parts store.
You might want to consider an upgrade -- maybe a winter project.
I replaced the old Perko "eyebrow" pair of bow lights on our prior boat back in the late 80's. Lenses were faded out from UV and they were far less visible than the modern Aqua Signal series 25 bi-color. The bi-color design - one bulb - used half the power, too.

I removed the bow pulpit and chamfered a piece of ss tubing to fit between the front curve. Local wire-welder did a nice job of joining it for a few bucks. (I had already drilled the hole that would be enclosed by one end of the welded tube and ran a tag wire thru it.)
Hardest part of the job was pulling the new cable thru the pulpit leg!
This was also the right time to have the welder weld on the ss Aqua Signal support plate for the new light fixture and add a couple of short ss rods between the new cross bar and the front of the curve for clipping on spare halyards.
Buffed it all up and reinstalled/rebedded the pulpit.

Last part of the job was filling the old holes on each side of the bow fitting when the former Perko light bases had lived so long. I used epoxy mush with tinting to match the existing trim.

"All good clean fun" and the raised nav light was a lot easier to see.

Nice upgrade in every way.

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
These perko lights were widely used, and I have even seen them not too long ago. West Marine carried the replacement lenses until recently and may still do so. I would call Perko and see if you can still get them. If not, many of the used consignment stores will have them.

I think the likelihood of finding them in 12 feet of water is slim, especially if there is any current, but I've been lucky sometimes. I replaced the screws on mine on my former boat--they were either #6 or #8 3/4" length phillips stainless steel screws which are readily available, so at least you won't have to find them under water.

Good luck!

Frank

VolvoEricson

Bill, Go into West Marine and have them look up part# 257139 and then look up the lense replacement part #. Most likely there is a few hanging around in "our neck of the woods" that they can get you fast. I worked for WM for over 10 years and hired Brandon who runs the SB store. Rob Hessnius

Lucky Dog

Member III
I have mine sitting in a box somewhere in the basement. Your welcome to what you need or both for shipping and the agreement that you will pass them forward if someone else needs the extra parts.

ml

Czech Mate

Member II
Lucky Dog:

I would be most happy to take you up on your offer and would certainly be willing to pass on whatever I don't need to some other needy soul. I continue to be amazed at all the advice and other help in general that those on this site have to offer. Can you tell me where you're located in Wisconsin? Maybe we can avoid the shipping and I could pick up the parts and reinstall them this weekend when I'm back up in Sturgeon Bay.

Thanks,
Bill Cobb