• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

YSM8 Oil Leak

hgriffin1

I have a YSM8 engine that appears to be leaking oil. It seems to leak only when running but I haven't completely ruled out a slow constant leak. The bottom of the engine sat in fresh (rain) water for an unknown but probably long period of time leading me to believe that one or more gaskets could have rotted and failed. I have looked at the manual to see where the most likely areas would be but that didn't yield any obvious things to look at.

Does anyone have any experience with this engine that might be able to suggest a good way of sorting this out short of pulling the motor? access from the front and left side of the engine is ok. The right side and back are difficult.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Can you tell anything from where it is leaking? I had a very minor leak and traced it to the oil drain plug--a quick fix to snug it up a bit more. Maybe you could be that lucky too.

Frank

Glyn Judson

Tracking down an oil leak.

Dear friend, Before anything else, thoroughly clean the engine in the most environmentally way possible. Use something like Simple Green and paper towels or rags to clean it. Once happy that it's as clean as you can get it, try laying several sheets of newspaper under the engine and surrounding area. Sight down the side or front or.... of the engine and apply a felt marker to the paper in line with the area you scoped. Allow time to pass sufficient to create the leak. Remove the paper intact and place it over the engine and note the oil spots. Transfer that info to the underside of the engine and begin your search there using paper towels to wipe from that spot outward until you detect the direction of the source. It's not likely that sitting water has caused the gaskets to deteriorate but still be open to a leaky gasket for another, i.e., gasket misalignment that finally gave up the ghost, lack of gasket seal, etc. You might want to check the mechanical fuel pump gasket first, having made sure to have cleaned it thoroughly first Bear in mind that a leak can migrate, that it can run from the side of something to the lowest part of the engine and drip there. The importance of thoroughly cleaning the engine first is that your detective work will result in finding new, wet oil and not caked oil and dirt build up. Make sense? Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

hgriffin1

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The oil drain plug has a new gasket and is tight. I think cleaning the entire engine will be very helpful and had planned on doing it already. I ordered some absorbent mats yesterday and will do a deep clean when they arrive.

Cheers,
Hugh