• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader mounting bracket

MurrayL

I OWN A 1975 ERICSON 23' SAILBOAT. I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY LOCATING THE TEAR-DROP SHAPED MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR THE SPREADERS. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE I MIGHT FIND THESE?

Bob in Va

Member III
spreader brackets

It is probably pretty close to impossible to get one of these from the original source - I haven't even been able to find out who that was. However, two avenues are open: If yours is broken, it can be welded, although it won't be as strong as it was originally. That was done on one of mine, and it has held OK so far through some pretty heavy weather. Also, you can have one made from scratch from stainless steel (it would be welded, not cast, of course). There was an entry in this forum earlier this year on that approach. I am planning to make some up in the near future, as there seems to be a need for them. We have a small but active owners organization for the E23 and put out a newsletter every two months. Send me your hull number, keel type, and name of your boat and we'll put you on the registry and send you a newsletter ("23 Tell-Tales"). I'm glad to find another owner, especially one in Canada. One way or the other, we'll figure out a spreader fix.
Regards - Bob Boe
"TigerEye"
'76 E23 #312

Walter Pearson

Member III
I'm not sure if yours is exactly the same bracket as the one used on the E27, but I have a starboard cast aluminum bracket - slightly modified with epoxy bonded on the mounting surface to obtain trueness with the mast - and a welded port bracket. I think the weld is good, but I decided to go with a design using a weldment of stainless plates.

If you are interested in the existing brackets or the new design, let me know.

mdgann

'76 E23
I broke one of my spreader base fittings 2 years ago and have been looking since then for a replacement. No luck. I have JB Welded the parts together with the idea that I could either use this to make a mold and cast one myself or have a small shop do some for me. In the meantime I have welded up a fitting out of steel that seems to work just fine. I'm not sure about the suggestion to weld your fitting as cast aluminum does not take to welding very well. It usually is very porous and slumps and deforms. I am still keeping my ear to the ground for fittings, but don't hold out much hope. I will post here if I ever come up with something and if I have some made, I will make more than I can personally use. Thanks all