• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where to tie off the reefing line on a 85 30+

Eric30

Member I

I have an 85 30+ I have two reef points in the sail. The reefing lines start at the mast and then pass through the boom. Once out of the boom they each pass through a car on an adjustable track one on the port and one on the starboard side of the mast.

When I had the rigging replaced they had the lines run through the boom, into the car on the track, up to the reef point and eventually tied back to the boom with a bowline not.

When I first reefed the sails using the first reef point the sail had a very full shape because the new clew (reefing point) was not far enough back on the boom.

I thought about this and decided that I should have the reefing line come out of the boom then through the car then tie it off at the reefing point with a bowline just like the jibsheet. That way when I reefed the reefing line would act as an outhaul and keep the sail flat, which would be desirable when the winds kicked up.

If that worked I would do the same thing with the second reef.

Does that make sense. If not could someone explain how those lines should run or provide a picture?

Thanks in advance for the help!
http://www.bradfordllc.com/

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I also have an '85 30+. When I refurbished my boom I removed the two tracks on either side of the boom. I also removed the cam cleats/levers at the front of the boom that are supposed to lock the reefing lines. (I had heard those cleats don't work very well and my reefing lines are led back to rope clutches at the cockpit anyway.)

I thought the tracks were a bit short and leading the lines the way you describe doesn't give much rearward pull on the clew of the sail. I ran my lines up from where they exit the end of the boom to the two cringles and then back down to the boom where they loop around and are tied. You could run your lines up to the cringles first then down to the track cars which would amount to the same thing and is how I think they were supposed to be rigged. (I could be wrong, but this seems to work for me.)

Also remember that if you have reefing ties in the sail they should not be tied around the boom but just around the sail. I didn't know this at first and really struggled trying to tie those around the boom. Lucky I didn't get a really good gust of wind and tear them out, too...

tilwinter

Member III
reef point

On my 30+, the reef line exited the boom, ran to the turning block, up to the kringle, down the other side of the sail, under the boom, and attached to the post next to the turning block.

In order to pull the sail aft, the turning block was moved on the track far enough back to pull the new "foot" of the sail aft.

Eric30

Member I
Thanks Tilwinter. When you say it is attached to the post next to the turning block...do you mean the post attached to the car the turning block is on, making it adjustable?

tilwinter

Member III
turning block

Yes. The moveable car has a turning block and a post built into the same unit. The post is under the cover and looks like it just supports the cover, but I believe it is intended for an attachment site. There is room for the line to turn on the block, and for the bitter end to attach to the post with a bowline.