• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Propane cylinders

Touchrain

Member III
I need to get a couple new propane cylinders before heading south from PNW. Although I like the idea of a clearview (fiberglass) cylinder, I can't seem to find one that will fit in the propane locker(s). The locker seems to be about 17 inches high (even 17 1/4 won't fit and this include the indent for the ring) and 11 or so inches in diameter. Aluminum ones seem to offer less volume than steel ones in the constraints of this space. Has anyone found the best solution to maximize tankage?

Thanks

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a 10 lb. aluminum on our boat and love it. It's lighter than others and after a full summer's use, is still usually half full. Unless you do an incredible amount of cooking, 10 lbs lasts a long time.

Good luck!
Frank

Touchrain

Member III
Yes, I had a 10# that was pretty nice. Although I plan to do a trip to your neck of the woods in two weeks (from Olympia), In August I am heading to California and then in November, Mexico. Next spring, probably the Marquesas. So, maximizing volume is the key, and the E38 compartments don't quite seem designed for today's cylinders. Do you have the dimensions on your Alum cylinder. Would it fit in the space described in my earlier note? Thanks.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi, I'm not at the boat so cant take measurements, but as I recall it's about the same size as the BBQ propane cylinders one sees in department/hardware stores. I think it would fit the dimensions you stated, but can't be sure.

West Marine catalogue gives the measurements as 16 1/2" by 10 1/4" for the 10 lb. aluminum.

Hope that helps.

Frank

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
IIRC, I use this one http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|301237|322407&id=59095 on my E38 for the propane Newport heater. I've only filled it once and have used it quite a bit so I am quite pleased regarding its use for heating.

I wouldn't go with a steel cylinder ever, too much rust.

I would think that two of the #10's above would take care of most any trip. When you empty one then you have a full spare to use while looking for a fill. RT

Touchrain

Member III
Looks like it will be the 10# aluminum tank. I do have one, had just hoped by some miracle might get something bigger. I agree, my last one was slightly larger, but got rid of it as the steel was rusting. As you all say, this should be enough. I never even use one on our annual two-week trip to the Gulf Islands. Thanks for the sanity.