• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib only

bayhoss

Member III
In sailing I have noticed a fair number of boats that under heavy air fly only the jib as oppossed to a reduced jib and single or double reefed main. On one hand there is the logic that the jib only is accounting for a very poorly balanced rig that will suffer lee helm and can damage the rig with excessive forward stress. On the other end of the story is the logic that if you are reaching with a spinnaker and main you are doing about the same thing by having more sail fore than aft. Thoughts?

Best,
Frank

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On our E30+ we sometimes fly only a reduced jib/genoa in heavy air, mainly due to convenience. We have roller furling, so it's easy to control the amount of sail out, and to roll it up completely. Our mainsail is quite heavy, a bit of work needed to raise it, also to reef it (not too bad, but still) and then to flake it in high winds is a bit of a fight. Our boat sails quite well with either the headsail or the main, though I agree it does sail better with both. :egrin:

If I have alot of headsail out in heavy air, I usually tighten the backstay a bit for added support.

Frank

Guys,

I am a big proponent of jib only in heavy air on my Ericson 27. The last time we did that was after we decided to go sailing when there were squalls coming into Tampa Bay from the SW. My buddy and I had been KILLED for several weeks in fitful breezes that always died out. So, when it looked like we could get some sailing in we hosted the working jib; it's hanked on. We never took the sail cover off the main. We sailed in squalls for a couple of hours, got soaked, buried the port rail many times and had a ball, all with just the working jib. Boat speed maxed out at about 10 knots. If we were getting pounded too hard, we just fell off some. No problems with lee helm at all. Ironically, the squalls moved through and we finally ended up motoring home. But it was some exciting sailing! Estimated top wind speed, 40+ knots.

Morgan Stinemetz

Last edited:
Hi, I think the mainsail helps with mast stability and reduces mast pump in a choppy sea. This is especially important to those of us who have not replaced our OLD (e27) spreader bases! Are you reefing the main? Familiar with the process? Dave

bayhoss

Member III
Fairly familiar with the process. I have a single set of reefing points. When things get to be too much for that, 22+ knots, I generally drop the main and go on jib only. I was considering adding a second set of reef points and was wondering how many went to double reef and how many just went with the jib.
Thanks to all for the imput.

Best,
Frank

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've had entire seasons sailing with little kids where the mainsail cover didn't get taken off once.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Bayhoss,

About your question on getting a second set of reef points, it may depend on where you sail and how much you plan on being in challenging conditions. I do use our second reef points more than I would have thought--when others are at the dock, I can go out in 25 knot winds and play around, with my mainsail reefed, headsailed partially furled and the boat nicely balanced, enjoying my day.

It's easier to sail with just the headsail alone, so when I'm feeling lazy, or only going a short distance, I'll not go to the trouble of reefing the mainsail and just use the headsail.

Hope that helps.

Frank.

bayhoss

Member III
Most of the time I just reef at 15 knts and then if things start to pipe up to about 20 or so knts. I drop the main and sail around on the jib only. I'm planning a 12 day trip thru the Pamlico Sound at the end of this month and that body of water can get to 20-25 knt range easily. So, I was thinking of another set of reef points for more extended sailing. Also, please feel free to call me Frank.

Best,
Frank

Last edited:

Earwax

New Viking
Double reef

Frank,

Just last week I was out while it was blowin 20+ on the bay. I had a double reef and the yankee cut jib. I would have thought the stay sail would have been more balanced, but we were sailing with the sweetest helm and the rail just kissing the water...when the water wasn't coming over the bow.

A single reef would have put the boat over more and we would have had to constantly depower. Instead we rarely tended the main. So the double reef worked especially well in those conditions.

bayhoss

Member III
Thanks Dave,
I'll be sailing thru your neck of the woods afternoon/ evening of the 24th. If I see you out there I'll give a shout.

Best,
Frank:egrin:

Earwax

New Viking
Sailing thru

Frank,

Ah, very cool. I'm hoping to get out on the 24th. It is the day before the Admiral-to-be and I start to share a command...our wedding.

Fortunately, I am strictly forbidden to see the beautiful bride the day before the wedding and I think the highest probability to avoid a chance sighting would be in the middle of the bay. Plus, there are quite a few sailors attending the wedding, as well as a few stickpotters, so I'd like to get a bunch of us out on a pleasure sail (the last one while I'm still supreme ruler of Invictus!)

Are you just sailing through or are you stopping for the night somewhere?

Dave

bayhoss

Member III
Dave, Congratulations! Great wishes for a happy life together.
Sharon and I are headed out for 12 days of playing at Silver Lake. We're stopping at Waterside for the Jazz festival Sat nite and then taking the ICW to the Pamlico Sound. NOAA has the wind at SW 10 - 15knts so the trip down the bay should be ok. If all goes to plan we should be rounding Thimble Shoal around 1400 hrs. maybe later depending if wind speed and direction (southern Chesapeake, yeah, right) hold. I'll keep an eye out for you and give a shout.

Best,
Frank

Earwax

New Viking
Sailing with the jib

Try sailing down the bay with the jib only (not wanting to thread jack :cool: even more than we already are:esad:

Thanks also! The Adm. likes sailing which is a major plus for me.

If I do get out, I won't be out until about 1700 since we have rehearsal about the time you round Thimble Shoals. Enjoy the jazz festival! It has been a while since I've been to that one.