• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Spinnaker configuration and pole

Touchrain

Member III
I have a brand new spinnaker just waiting to be used. I'm trying to sort out the best configuration for running the topping lift and foreguy. I see the obvious mast fitting for a block for the topping lift, but what is the best way to run the line. There is also a fitting on the foredeck obviously for the foreguy, but again, where to run it. The boat has cam cleats on each side of the deck house near the cockpit, but they don't seem angled correctly for the lines and there are no turning blocks. Any ideas on best way to run the two lines or what the cam cleats were installed for? They look like they are angled toward the inside headsail tracks, but I'd say they would not be up to the task for that!

Any suggestions? Would love to take the spinnaker with me to Mexico when I head south from the PNW in a few weeks.

Finally, I have both a hurky forespar line control whisker pole and a spinnaker pole, but really don't have room for both. Any ideas off a modification to the whisker pole that might allow it to be used as a spinnaker pole in winds of less than, say 12 knots? I've heard from some people they through bolted the two inner and outer tubes? That seems a bit weak for relatively thin-walled tubing.

Thanks

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
e 38 spinnaker.

I do a dip pole jibe and have set up the spinnaker as follows

The topping lift runs to a spinlock cleat on the mast then to a block at the base of the mast then back to a rope clutch on the cabin top next to the fore quy that also goes to a rope clutch.

I did it this way so that depending on the number of crew it always seems to work. I can leave the spinlock on the mast open and control the pole from the cockpit. Most of the time the person doing the mast for the jibe will raise the inboard end. Then lower the outboard for the jibe and raise it back up.

For spinnaker sheets I have some high tech (3/8 line i think). It is strong enough that when used as a guy it works great and light enough that the lazy quy will not weigh down the shoot. I looped it through its selve to hook it to the shackle and whipped it to prevent it from slipping. The line I bought could be stripped if desired but i have not found it necessary

The pole is a beast but the spinnaker is large and the force can be great.
A carbon fiber pole would be the ticket