• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bluewater cruising in an E38??

derrickrn

New to this group but getting very close to buying a 1982 Ericson 38 with the intention of doing some ocean cruising (South Pacific to Australia in mind). Ive been reading a lot about cruising in this boat and a lot of people say they would not. Does anyone have any experience or any opinions about doing some serious cruising in this boat? Please share any info you may have.

Hi,
The first question that comes to my mind is you. How much experience do you have? Made many ocean crossings? Usually the boats are stronger than the occupants. But any boat that you are going to take deep into the ocean has to be strong and reliable beyond any fixes that might require a boat yard and professional help. Out in the Pacific, help is a long way off.

Morgan Stinemetz

pwsjobs

Sailing along pacific ocean ? that would be very exciting escape just make sure to be safe ...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
New to this group but getting very close to buying a 1982 Ericson 38 with the intention of doing some ocean cruising (South Pacific to Australia in mind). Ive been reading a lot about cruising in this boat and a lot of people say they would not. Does anyone have any experience or any opinions about doing some serious cruising in this boat? Please share any info you may have.

I have asked this question myself, long enough to know, that the advice you get from people is usually worth what you pay for it. So here goes....

My question to you is who exactly is "a lot of people"? And why do "they" think the E38 is not appropriate? There are risks taking any boat offshore and EVERY design has limitations. And everyone will have an opinion...

Pick a solid boat in your budget, prepare it well, hone your skills, prepare yourself, etc. The base boat itself is not as important as the sum of these things.

RT