• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 masthead sheaves

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know off hand what size sheaves the stock E27 masthead uses?

Thanks.

AleksT

Member III
I just replaced the masthead sheaves on my 27. Pretty positive they were original.
The rear two are 3" dia. the front two are 2 1/2" dia. Width for all 7/16 (I had mine made a teeny tiny hair smaller than 7/16) Pin size for all 3/8"

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Confirmed. I just ordered new sheaves and divider plate from zephyrwerks. Front is 2.98 rear is 2.48 width is .46, and pin is 3/8. Divider plate is 1/8. Total with shipping was 179. Oh and this was switching from wire to rope.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Pic of the new sheaves and divider plate. They are a nice fit in the masthead.

005.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Will this sheave set also work with wire?

If you are upgrading your sheaves, you Really need to change to all-rope halyards. Wire-to-rope halyards were being phased out for new boats starting in the early 80's, and for good reasons.
That's two generations ago, and even longer in dog years! :rolleyes:

Given the constant problems with meat hooks and damage to sheaves and even winches, wire halyards were never more than a technical stop-gap solution until the price of very-low-stretch lines came down to where recreational sailors could afford 'em, in any case. Lots of spars have had to be re-finished over the decades from damage caused by external wire halyards, too. They were a good solution back in their day, but also created lots of additional maintenance costs down the road.

Loren

Last edited:

jstaff

Member I
I had custom sheaves made by Zephyrwerks a few years ago. I took advantage of the opportunity and installed larger pins.

I also had the sheaves made a little wider since there was adequate width to do so.

It won't change the price to have them made exactly as you want. I may have paid a few dollars additional for the larger pins.

The Zephyrwerks sheaves are beautifully made.

dt222

Member III
My measurements

My Zephyrworks set was 3" x .55 x.375 for 1/2" line (main halyard) and 2.5" x .43 x .375 for 7/16" line (jib). Divider plate was .032 x 3" x 7 1/8". Fit like a glove and no problems since install in 2011.

Don