• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1987 E28 electrical panel

joe-fran

Member II
My E 28 was hit by lightning earlier this month. Dealing with insurance company and the bpoat yard. The elctrical panel sustained some damage. A few blown out indicator lights and maybe more.
Surveyor suggested trplacing the whole panel. Spent 3 hours trying to find a replacement - no luck - nothing the same size and I don't want to spend too much of my valuable Northeast summer messing around with a custom fit.
1. Does anyone know of a source?
2. Is there any reason I should not just replace the switches and indicator lights, keep the face plate and be done with it?

Joe1 007.jpg

Glyn Judson

Keep the panel.

Joe, Keep the panel and replace all the components. If they're not already breakers, upgrade to those too while you're at it. It's all simple but somewhat time consuming work but the finished job is one you can take pride in knowing that you did it yourself. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"mission creep..."

One other point Joe--
while I do not want you to lose any potential sailing days, I would really advocate for putting a long (a couple of short) terminal strip behind the panel like I did on our '88 model.
No more odd wire splices back there.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2181&referrerid=28
(pictures in this project thread)
Notice that I could use "bridges" to bring together several wires from different parts of the boat, and then have only one #10 going to each breaker.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
How about replacing the bad parts now and hitting the insurance company for a new panel which you can install over the long winter?

Or not replacing indicators now, and just use the breaker toggle position for indication this year?

I remember seeing a DIY cad program supplied by a panel company that up the panel to your design. anybody remember the company? I may have the info at home.