• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Which prop for Ericson 32?

mggilmore

Member II
Prop for an E 32

I have a 1987 Ericson 32. I just went through the Prop decision making. I am upgrading from the original 2 bladed prop to a 3-bladed campbell sailing prop ($560), so hopefully I will know this spring if I made the right decision. I put together a powerpoint presentation that summarizes my research but I can't attach a powerpoint on this website. I would be happy to send you the powerpoint if you send me your email address or I will post it if someone can give me a heads up on how to do that.

Bottom-line, I have plenty of walk on my E32 in reverse and I do not expect the 3 bladed campbell to change that situation very much. The way I handle it is that I back down the entire length of my pier to my slip. Once underway in reverse the boat handles quite smoothly to small rudder adjustments. I am able to back up for about 150 feet and turn smoothly into my slip.

The trade offs in props are many. Price for one, with all of the feathering and folding props costing as much as they do I couldn't go there as it just wasn't high enough on my priority list to spend this kind of money. Forward thrust is another, which is basiaclly where the 3-blade rules. Sailing drag is another, but if your transmission allows you to free-wheel while sailing this is less of an issue. No simple answer, good luck with your decision.
Mike

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Mike,

If you have the ability to save/print the PowerPoint as a .pdf file then you can attach that.