• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Long Beach or Alamitos tie up for Lunch?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Where can find a place to tie up the boat for lunch in Long Beach or Alamitos Bay and I take my friend and his Family out for Father's day? All we got round LA Harbor is the Chowder Barge.
:esad:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Call the AB Marina

Where can find a place to tie up the boat for lunch in Long Beach or Alamitos Bay and I take my friend and his Family out for Father's day? All we got round LA Harbor is the Chowder Barge.
:esad:

I can't speak from direct experience, but I would suggest you contact Alamitos Bay Marina. There are several fingers that were built in anticipation of the rebuild on the north side of the marina that are not being used and I have seen boats tie up on weekends. It is next to Joe's Crab Shack. There is also a Farmers Market every Sunday that ends at 2 pm just feet away from that location. I would avoid Schooner or Later unless you are prepared for a 2 hour wait. There are other restaurants closer to the entrance to the AB Marina, but I am not sure about the temporary tie up situation, therefore back to my original suggestion to call the Marina. No suggestions for the other Long Beach Marinas.

As I indicated in an earlier post, I should be out with my family that day, so keep a look out for me. I will be basically single handing it, so if you see me, don't be surprised if I am a little cautious of approaching you!! Hail me on 16 "TREK" or "Yellow Hull Sailing Vessle" should work too!!!

I am actually docked immediately adjacent to Joes Crab Shack, thats why I am familiar with that area.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Will do Todd, If we make it down there. I think as long as we will be heading that way I will check the guest dock at Parker's Landing. They have about 80 foot guest dock with a 3 hr limit. Always full though. I remember about 6 years ago when I sailed into Alamitos Bay I tied up and had lunch and cocktails at a joint just inside the Jetty. Just can't remember the name of the joint. Must have been the cocktails.

Calling the Marina when they open today.

toddbrsd

Out around 10:00

Hey - us too!

What time are you heading over Todd?

Probably leave the dock around 10:00. SailFlow.com projects 6 knots increasing to 10 knots around 1:00 when I plan to head back in.

Should be perfect for that first sail with little heeling.

https://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=209&siteID=1521&Isection=Forecast+Graphs

I spent this morning leading my main halyard and downhaul to the cockpit. Just in time, as I will pretty much be single handing tomorrow!

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Jeff,

Let me know if you make it to Alamitos-I should be around
the boat Sunday-and my slip is a short walk from the restaurants.

Martin

tdskip

Member II
Hi guys - hope everyone had a good day.

Todd - nice to (quickly) say hello. Hope the family was into it!

Jeff - did you make it over?

Great wind today! Hit slighly over 7 knots, which for us is moving :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Any day on the water's a good day"... right?

Thanks for the replies.

My dilemma was not really about what the best place to eat was but, where to tie up. We decided to try for Parker's Lighthouse guest dock first. Had a nice easy sail down to Shoreline from Pedro, dropped the rags just after we rounded the Queen Mary, fired up the little Yanmar. I was motoring on in and I noticed the engine sounding funny, rpm's going up and down until it finally died. Clogged filters. There was just way too much boat traffic to try and sail in with my inexperienced Buddy and his Wife and 7 year old daughter. Talked to Vessel Assist bout getting towed into Parker's and they told me to anchor. Anchor where? That's when I decided to just sail back to Pedro. I tried to tack up inside the breakwater with 16 knots on the nose with very slow progress. I really did not want to get towed the 5 miles back so I went offshore and tacked back up. The wind increased to 17-19 knot, 6' swells. My friends Wife & Daughter both got sea sick. Took about 4 hours. Sailed into Angels Gate around 5 pm. Winds gusting over 25 knots. Decided to not try and sail into my slip at Cabrillo so I sailed up the Main Channel and called for a tow. Things could have been worse, the next boat my very young Vessel Assist tow boat Captain (18 years old) had to respond to was a partially dismasted 39 footer that we saw listing and coming in with only part of his main up. Vessel Assist was very, very busy all day.

The worst day I have had on the water in a long time. It was a very hard sail with passed out bodies laying (rolling) around in the cockpit, 7 year old's impatience and lack of understanding as to what's going on. Hindsight, I probably should have gone and anchored behind Island White and changed the filters. It's just did not seem like a comfortable idea with my landlubber guests on board.

There is a reason I don't often sail down wind to Long Beach for a day sail. Because it's always a up wind bash back. All involved survived but I am exhausted as I am sure my friends are, boats okay, filters will be replaced soon and more often. This was the 3rd year in a row I had taken this Family out on Father's Day. I have a feeling they won't be onboard next year.

My own Father used to say... "Any day on the water's a good day", and I used to agree. :esad:

Sven

Seglare
Sorry about your stressful day.

We just motored inside the breakwater for a couple of hours with some visiting relatives. Had a much better day than you :esad:

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Sven, that's what I should have done. Especially with a 7 year old on board. I think all the wakes we had to plow through on the way down to LB and in and around Shoreline really stirred up my tank.

I think I had last changed my primary filter back in July. Way too long without inspecting it thoroughly.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah, Kinda my own damn fault. I have been involved with so many other repairs in the last few months (radar, macerator, wind instrument cups to name a few) I have ignored some basic engine maintenance, although I recently changed the engine oil.

Sam Vickery

Member III
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the outing. It is hard being green, even more so when you are 7 years old. My day was much better. My son, Bryan, who does not share my love of sailing, took me to breakfast and out for a three hour sail. What a joy. 8-10 kts of wind and lots of sun. No wild life but great company.

I hope next father's day is better for you (and your guests).

Sam
32-3

toddbrsd

Hi guys - hope everyone had a good day.

Todd - nice to (quickly) say hello. Hope the family was into it!

Tom,

Thanks for stopping to say hello. The family really enjoyed it, especially getting up close to the sea lions. The wind was perfect. All three crew were getting a little under the weather though for the last half hour, but recovered nicely once on dry land. There was actually no wait for Joe's Crab Shack. It was a pretty quick sail. Left the slip just before 10:00, sailed to the cruise ship and headed back. Docked at about 12:00.

Everything went smooth, although my engined started "squealing" intermitantly for the first time. Guess I need to check the belt.

Sorry to hear about Jeff's day.