• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuse Panel info needed

ozzie12

Member I
Help! The fuse panel on my 1974 E-29 has gotten wet too many times and is corroded and some of the fuse holders as well as a few of the toggle switches no longer work properly. Last weekend was spent in a frustrating effort to revive the old panel. I have looked at a number of different sources (Minnies, The Sea Chest, Aquarius, etc) but have had no luck finding a replacement, so I have decided to build a new one. What I need help with is a couple of measurements. The boat is in San Diego and I am in Scottsdale. I need the measurements of the width and height of the panel. Can anyone check their boat and help with this?

Thanks!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Not sure it this helps. I could not find any specific dimensions for the panel on my E-27 in the manual but here is the sketch from the manual.

Here's another thought. I added a second panel on the starboard side of my companion way. I used a off the shelf Blue Seas waterproof fuse panel. I did this because I have added so many other devices requiring fuses.

You could cover the old angle cut hole of your old panel with a 1/8" piece of fiber glass or marine ply, cut a hole in that for a stock panel. It would be a lot less (wiring) work.

I sail Econo!

Attachments

• E27Panel.jpg
    E27Panel.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 94
  • OrigPanel.jpg
    OrigPanel.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 87
  • BlueSeasPanel.jpg
    BlueSeasPanel.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 75

ozzie12

Member I
Hmmmm!!!

Wow! Mine is totally different. It is square, not angled, and it is located on the bulkhead above the ice box. I woulkd guess that it is about 16" square, or is it 12" by 14" or 14" by 12"?:confused:

But thanks for the reply.

ozzie12

Member I
Wow!!!

YES!!! That's what it looks like. If only you were certain of the dimensions. Is it taller than wide? or wider than tall?

You've been great. This helps alot, but it would be nice to know if you are different from me in that you haven't lost your mind like I have, or I would have measured it last time I was there.

It is so inconvenient to have to earn a living instead of staying on the boat. :egrin:

ozzie12

Member I
Success!

Fuse panel replaced successfully. Had to cut the hole in the bulkhead an inch wider and a half an inch lower to fit the new panel. I made two of them. One that was 9 5/8 " by 6 and the other that was 11" by 7". The larger one has ten circuits where the existing panel and the smaller one only has eight. Anyway, all existing eight circuits hooked up and functional. electrical fuse panel.jpg
Now I just have to label each circuit.
Thanks again for the measurements.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice

One small note on labels - I have seen countless peel-n-stick Dymo type (embossed) labels peel off of panels over the decades. Perhaps it was because the surface was not smooth enough? Idono.
:confused:
Anyhow, nowadays there are lots of choices in label-making and materials.

New panel looks great. Now onto the discovery that you always... want more circuits!
;)

Loren

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Following on Loren's assertion that you always want more circuits... there are companies that make separate nav-light panels. I installed a Borel Manufacturing http://www.borelmfg.com/nav_light.htm navigation light panel that freed up 3 circuits on the e27's stock 5 circuit panel.

Attachments

• panel1.jpg
    panel1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 179

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Now I just have to label each circuit.
Thanks again for the measurements.[/quote]

With that nice wood there it seems a shame to muck it up with labels. You might try some script lettering with a solder pencil and while you are at it burn in the Ericson logo stuff copied off the original. Just a thought. Edd:egrin: