• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Problem installing end caps on Schaeffer traveler/Headliner zipper

robrill

Member I
I just received the replacement end caps for my Schaeffer traveler on my '86 E30+. The old ones were crumbling. The new ones have a squarish shape, versus the rounded old ones, but look fine. (I got them from Rig-Rite in RI - www.rigrite.com at the suggestion of a poster here. Thanks for the tip!)

To install the new end cap the rigger told me to remove the old screw in the disintegrating old cap, and put the screw back in through the hole in the new end cap. Sounds simple, eh?

The problem is that the screw won't come out. It simply turns and turns. That leads me to a couple possible conclusions: (a) the screw is stripped, or (b) it's set into a nut under the deck that's turning too. I tried lifting the screw while turning it using needle-nosed pliers, but that didn't help. I had the same problem on both sides of the traveler.

It would seem like no big deal to check to see if there is a nut there by looking underneath the vinyl headliner. However, the zipper on the thing is so corroded that it seems destined to remain frozen in the closed position. I tried removing the wooden edging that holds down the headliner so that I could bring down the whole side of the headliner, but the vinyl is secured with staples (on top of which the wooden edging is screwed on) and I really don't want to start down the road of removing the staples and replacing them later on unless I absolutively have to.

Has anyone had experience with removing the screws that hold in the end caps? (Or maybe some experience in persuading a corroded zipper on a vinyl headliner to move?)

Thanks.

- Rob

escapade

Inactive Member
Rob;
Had the same problem w/headliner zippers on my 88 E34. Try spraying some Liquid Wrench on the zipper foot & teeth, let soak for a few minutes, then CAREFULLY start to work the zipper back & forth. This should loosen it up. After it starts moving lube entire length of zipper w/McLube. Works better than silicone! New zipper foot can be purchased from fabric store but a real pain to install. Took wife & I about 1 hour to do. Bud E34 "Escapade"

ref_123

Member III
Zippers, zippers everywhere...

Hi there,

on 32-3, the traveller is on a high rise, and there are nuts alright under those cups, but they are easily accessible.

As for the zippers - the advice with Liquid Wrench is good, but mine were corrded way beyound a chance of repair. So, I found a link on this site to ZRK Enterprises. They sent me 20 replacement zipper sliders. Usually it takes 15-30 minutes to break the old one off, clean the mess and install a new one. And then - TLC in form of periodic lubing and moving really helps :).

Best of luck,
Stan & Tanya, Ericson 32-3 "Fire Eater"

Bob in Va

Member III
Rusty zipper

Even better than Liquid Wrench or WD-40 is PC Blaster - spray it on and let it sit for a day, and unless the parts are welded together they will loosen up. It really seems to penetrate the rust but takes some time to do it.

robrill

Member I
Bob: I'd like to try PC Blaster before going to Liquid Wrench, but I'm not familiar with the product. A Google search just came up with those compressed air sprays for cleaning PC keyboards which didn't sound like what you were talking about. Any link, store name or other info. you can offer that can steer me in the right direction? Thanks. - Rob

Bob in Va

Member III
Rob - I mis-wrote the name. It is PB Blaster, by B'Laster/B.C.C.I. of Cleveland. 1-800-858-6605 I buy it at auto parts stores. It costs about the same as other stuff, but works much better.

robrill

Member I
Thanks, Bob. I was at an AutoZone and saw PB Blaster ("as seen on TV!") so I figured that was it and bought it. I gave the zipper a couple of shots last night and this morning. No loosening yet, but if there's any possibility that it can eliminate the need for me to tackle all those staples holding the vinyl behind the wooden strip, I'm willing to be very, very patient. ;)

- Rob