• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Reefing points

Joe A.

I need suggestions on where to put reefing points on my main sail. I just bought the 1987 e 26-2 (fractional rig) with a nice crisp set of north sails but no previous owner ever had reefing put in. I do. I'm dropping the sail off to a sailmaker in a few days and need to make a decision. I'm not planning to do extensive cruising or racing and don't think I'll need two rows. If I put in one row should it be a 'standard' row or a 'deep reef' row? The boat will be sailed on Lake Erie that kicks up alot of wind and steep waves at short notice. I'll do a lot of day sailing and want to enjoy my boat on windy days and plan to do periodic trips to the Lake Erie islands, about 90 miles round trip.

Joe Antz
E26-2
Half Fast

Last edited:
Reef points

I'd suggest you take the matter up in person with the sailmaker. These guys deal with these questions all the time and probably can fashion the reefing system to exactly your sailing needs. It's the right thing to do--it's not like going to a proctologist with questions about brain surgery.

Morgan Stinemetz

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Morgan - I agree with your advice about the sailmaker, but for a lot of us, the proctologist is the right person to see. :)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My proctologist told me to reef often and reef early. :egrin:

Seriously, I have a older E-27 with two set's of reef points. I have never had to set the second reef. I often have sailed in 24+ knots and the single reef is fine. I do not have a tall rig though. Yes a good sail loft will know what to do. I have a reef hook on my goose neck that makes it really easy.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I sail in the SF Bay area and Sacramento Delta. I use the second reef when the wind pipes to 25+. It makes sailing by yourself much easier and safer when things get worse than expected.

No reef hook - Both reefs are on a single line system that I can set from the cockpit in minutes. I have found the decision to reef usually comes later than expected and usually under the pressure of conditions. Having that second reef to go to is a comfort.

bayhoss

Member III
I have a single set of reef points on my E 28. It will hold the boat on its feet when the wind reaches 20 knts. Beyond that the storm chicken is looking for port.

Best,
Chicken Frank

Blue Chip

Member III
Reef Point

Our 32-200 has single line reefing and all sailing is done SF Bay and Delta. All lines led back and the single reef point is a 1 and a half. Reefing starts about 18 knots, although we usually leave the dock with the reef in and shake it out if is calmer.