• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lightning strike on my E-28

joe-fran

Member II
Hi all.
Launched my 1987 E-28 last saturday (and if I may say so, it was looking very good). My first full spring owning the boat (purchased July 2009) and I spend many hours buffing and waxing, replacing all old water hoses, rebuilding manual bilge and holding tank pumps, oiling interior teak, adding GPS unit, adding rope clutches etc.
We went out to her yesterday for the first sail and discovered it was hit by lightning :mad:during a very bad storm we had here early Tuesday am.
Electrical panel blown out, headliner in the head area all burned out, damage to mast head instruments and much more I am sure. Called in a claim this am to boatsU.S.

Looking for any prior experience tips on proper repair of similar damage and tips on dealing the insurance company. (30 years of boating and I have never had a claim/accident.)

Good news is no one was hurt, no damage to surrounding boats, boat is still afloat and anything is repairable!!!!

Am going out to take some pictures in the next couple of days and I'll post them later

bayhoss

Member III
Sorry to hear that you guys had bad luck. Hope the repairs go smoothly. Post some pictures and let me know If there is anything that I can do to help. I have a 1986 E28. I've been over it from one end to the other.

Best Always,
Frank

SurabyaKid

Member III
Check the hull carefully!

A boat in our marina was hit last year. Dozens of pin holes were blasted outward on the fiberglass above the waterline. The explaination given to the owner by the insurance investigator was small amounts of moisture in the fiberglass instantaneously vaporized causing the pinhole blowouts. The damage was severe enough the boat (A 2005 Hunter....) was totaled.

Pat

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Saddness, Hope you can get it all back together. Let us all know how the insurance co treats you. Edd