• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar portlight screens

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Does anyone know of a source for replacement screens for the old style Lewmar portlights on an E38-200? My 1988 boat has 12"x5" portlights.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Mike Jacker

Joliba

Thanks for the tip. I may use regular plastic or fiberglass screening from the local hardware store and fasten it onto the old frame. I would, however, prefer one of the complete plastic snap in screens if someone knows where they may be available in the correct size.

Joliba

I spoke with Pete at Florida Rigging and Hydraulics http://www.rigginghydraulics.com
Phone:800-718-1649.
He told me that the new Lewmar portlight flyscreens work well on the old hatches. There are apparently 2 current models available, a less expensive gray type (not the old one with small tabs), as well as a more expensive but much nicer "clip-on" type that is black. I ordered one of those and will try it out. I have eleven of the Size 1, 5"X12" portlights on my 1988 E38-200. I will let you know how it works out.

Joliba

Portlight fly screen options

I bought a new Lewmar "clip" type flyscreen, size 1, which is very well made, fits perfectly and is installed very easily. It is black in color with a nylon mesh screen. We do not have nosee'ems here so the mesh size is good. Defender Industries appears to have the best price currently. We also sucessfully epoxied plastic screening to an old frame with torn screening. One must leave a slight rim (2-3mm) of the old screen as a base to which the new screen is glued. Epoxy will not bond well enough to the plastic frame itself.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Epoxy isn't for everything

I used common household Duco Cement to replace the screen material on my head portlight screen. The same cement I used as a kid many decades ago to build models. It is primarily a modesty screen rather than for bugs and has been in service for at least five seasons. The glue is still good, but the material is starting to go. A dollar at Joann Fabrics bought enough material to last my lifetime.

Product Features

• Clear, flexible, waterproof cement
  • Holds permanently on china, glass, wood, leather, metal, paper, fabrics and nearly everything except rubber
  • Dries quickly, blister pack

Attachments

• Head Screen 001 A.jpg
    Head Screen 001 A.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,294