• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Drain Provisions?

newgringo

Member III
Today I was looking at the where the radio and wind instrument cables exit near the bottom of the mast. Now I am wondering just how rain water is supposed to get out of the mast and into the nice bilge sump nearby. I don't see any holes at the bottom. Water does weep out, but I wonder just what is the official way it is supposed to drain. Being as it rains a lot here in the great Pacific NW, a proper drain could be an issue. Some water does come out the hole where the 2 cables exit. Any ideas? Should I go drilling a hole maybe?

CSMcKillip

Other stuff too

When we raised our mast to put the new floor into the boat we found that the base of our mast was filled with 12" of compact mud. We live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and we have a great little hornet called a mud dobber. It seems that these wonderfull little flying bugs have been over the years helping out us with adding ballast to our boat. So in our case a small hole at the base of our mast would just add another hole in our boat.

Touchrain

Member III
When I pulled my mast a couple weeks ago on our E38, a gallon or two of water actually came out. Apparently a pretty tight seal. I may put a 1/4 inche hole down there, but would be interested in what others say.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our Kenyon spar has a small notch cut into the rear of the base. Water drains out readily thuout our wet winters in Oregon. Any good storm will put a quart or two into the bilge. :p

Perhaps some boats just need this base flushed out now and then. If you look at the base of the spar, there should be a small opening or notch in it. On some other boats I have seen owners use a piece of #12 wire to clear out dirt and stuff there.

Loren

Glyn Judson

Draining the mast.

All, I can only speak from the experience of creating a drain for my mast base. The E31 mast is deck stepped and over the preceding 11 years the mast was in place, it collected enough salt and fresh water that it turned the aluminum base into nasty almost loose chunks and white powder. I repainted the mast in 2006 and ordered another base from the manufacturer (Le Fiell, 800.451.5971-7). This time I drilled three 1/4" holes or scuppers through it at the aft, port and starboard locations. They were drilled from the inside of the lip near the bottom on a 45 degree angle that just broke through the outside of the base flush with the deck level. So when the mast was lowered over it (massive amounts of Tef-Gel applied to all faying surfaces at that time), a 1/4" gap in the flange can now be seen in all three locations that the mast sits just above. I can actually shove a stiff wire up in there, the thought being that if one or more got clogged, the wire could clear them. So far nothing has gotten in there but it'll be many more years before the mast comes off again for anyone to check to see if the scuppers prevented this cast aluminum base from going south. I had the base anodized by the way after drilling the holes. Probably none of this applies to the E38 but for the fact that there must be some sort of base the mast seats in. If it were me, I'd be tempted to come up with a similar series of scuppers in whatever fixture was down there. Hope this helps create fruit for innovation as it applies to your water collection problem, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

pick

Member II
On our 32-3 there is a small notch in the bottom of the mast that allows water to drain into a small mast-shower bilge. Several times a year I insert a small wire with a 90 degree bend in it into this notch and scrape away the debris to allow water to freely flow. According to the previous owner quite a head of water can accumulate if its not cleaned regularly. The debris is made up from the fibers of the lines going up the mast I believe.