• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Tank Sending Unit 1978 E27

japerra

Member II
I need to replace the sending unit on my 1978 E27. Has anyone done the same and have any advice on pitfalls to look out for.
I'm also wondering if I need the exact part or if there are universal units. I'm hoping to get the part before removing the current unit.

Thank you in advance,

James

Glyn Judson

Replacing your tank float.

James, These are standard automotive floats as far as that goes. Be certain to get one made of aluminum and not steel as there can be a high probability of a ferrous one rusting badly. My guess is that you'll need one 12" long. Measure the outside of the tank to determine the proper length bearing in mind that the float arm can go below the aluminum assembly somewhat. The sending unit will only fit in one orientation due to the asymmetrical five hole mounting pattern. This assures that the new float arm will face the right direction in the same manner as the old one. To make sure you got the correctly rated sending unit (you will have), dry test it before installation by wiring it up outside the tank (don't forget the ground) and by moving the arm up and down, you should see the gauge respond accordingly. Other than the usual sealing of the gasket to the tank and underside of the sending unit plate, I think that about covers it. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

japerra

Member II
Thank you

Sorry for the late reply...forgot to update my email address on the site.
Thank for the information, looks like an easier job than I thought but great advice. Any suggestions on a sealant for this job?

Thanks again,

james

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank for the information, looks like an easier job than I thought but great advice. Any suggestions on a sealant for this job?
Thanks again,
james

One bit of trivia I recall from when I removed the original factory-installed tank, the old gauge plate had some sort of fiber gasket that was seeping diesel and had been doing so for years. I do recall the asymmetrical hole pattern.
Anyhow, the new ones should have a little flat gasket formulated for diesel, IMHO.
My guess is that you probably (?) do not need a separate sealant for this, but if you do, there are lots of modern choices for diesel-proof connections. Local NAPA store probably has 'em.

LB

japerra

Member II
Sealant

One bit of trivia I recall from when I removed the original factory-installed tank, the old gauge plate had some sort of fiber gasket that was seeping diesel and had been doing so for years. I do recall the asymmetrical hole pattern.
Anyhow, the new ones should have a little flat gasket formulated for diesel, IMHO.
My guess is that you probably (?) do not need a separate sealant for this, but if you do, there are lots of modern choices for diesel-proof connections. Local NAPA store probably has 'em.

LB

Thanks Loren,

I'll keep this in mind and report back once I've completed the job.

Cheers,

James