• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 Bilge help - Drain question

adamd

Member II
Hi,

I washed out the inside of my boat today, I have the whale gusher pump attached in the cockpit. When I pump it, the water in the bilge near the stairs seems to drain fine.

The water in the bilge near the v berth and the head doesn't seem to want to drain? There is some sorta device floating around in there it's plastic with a small rotating paddle on it, dont know what it does. I checked behind the porta potty (with deck pump out) and there doesn't appear to be a thru hull.

How does the water near the v berth drain?

Emerald

Hi,

There is some sorta device floating around in there it's plastic with a small rotating paddle on it, dont know what it does.

Sounds like an impeller/sending unit for a knot meter. It's not uncommon to have a removable core with paddle wheel that you can pull and replace with a plastic plug so it doesn't get fouled as you sit moored for long periods of time. Look around and see if you don't have a thru-hull fitting with nothing coming out of it. Often you'll just have a large pin through this that you can pull and wiggle out the center piece and swap the dummy plug for the paddle wheel. If you're in the water, you'll get wet. Spin the paddle wheel first and see if your instrument works before you make the plunge.

adamd

Member II
Sounds like an impeller/sending unit for a knot meter. It's not uncommon to have a removable core with paddle wheel that you can pull and replace with a plastic plug so it doesn't get fouled as you sit moored for long periods of time. Look around and see if you don't have a thru-hull fitting with nothing coming out of it. Often you'll just have a large pin through this that you can pull and wiggle out the center piece and swap the dummy plug for the paddle wheel. If you're in the water, you'll get wet. Spin the paddle wheel first and see if your instrument works before you make the plunge.

I'll snap some pics, it looks to be more forward in the actual storage bin under the V Berth?