• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Non Rendezvous.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I think most of us made the right decision not to Rendezvous. Did you and Nancy go Sven?

My brother and I went out for a day sail Saturday. 7-8 foot swells with white caps starting up around 11:00 am.
We got about 2.5 miles past the Angeles Gate and I could see my Brother was not feeling well. When he started chumming I decided to take him for a harbor cruise back into Wilmington to the Chowder Barge. His stomach settled down as soon as we got back inside the break wall.

On Sunday we did some sight seeing around P. Fermin and it was blowing like stink. Easy 30+ knots, lots of white caps and breaking rollers as far as the eye could see. I saw 3 sailboats hauling ass, probably racers coming back from the Island.

I talked to my Radar tech this morning and he told me that there was a single handers round the Island race over the weekend and that one boat came back with no one onboard and ran aground off the coast of Venice Beach

I am glad I wasn't sailing back from the Island in that Gale tester day. Here's the news:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-for-missing-skipper-off-la-county-coast.html

Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
We went down to San Pedro Sunday to check out an E-26 for sale, still considering downsizing. Wind was blowing like crazy and the two non sailors were quite relieved that we were not trying to sail home from Two Harbors in that weather.
The lost sailor was all over the news during my overnight shift. I do not think they ever found him. A real shame.
I hope everyone had a great weekend
Greg.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I was wondering too if anybody headed over to the island. The two
harbors cam was showing whitecaps by 9:30am Saturday. Definitely
felt relieved we stayed put. Maybe we should try this again in
a couple of weeks?

Mikebat

Member III
Sven and Nancy went somewhere. Senta II was not in its slip Saturday morning and was not in its slip this morning. I imagine they stayed at Two Harbors Sunday night. I could not recognize anyone's boat from the webcam pics, though.

Sven

Seglare
It was a small gathering :)

We went and were joined by Don on Friday. Don came over for some pasta Friday evening but other than that there wasn't much "gathering".

Two other Ericsons also showed up. Don brought over the guys from one of those two boats, an E26 and we chatted a bit.

On Saturday a boatload of boats showed up, racers, the west side was a bit full. On Sunday we watched the white froth on the waves outside the harbor and decided that we didn't want to blow out any sails so we stayed until this morning. The racers also canceled their event and some of them stayed for an extra day.

Despite 4 days we actually didn't do any sailing !! On Friday it was even too calm to fly the main to steady us as we rolled our way across. On the way back today there was enough of a breeze to fly the main in the 6-10' waves and swells but we motor sailed all the way again.

It was still wonderful and we got the last hatch installed and fixed one of the bilge pumps that had gotten clogged.

Now we watch for next weekend and hope it isn't too pretty or there probably won't be any moorings to be had anywhere.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
The racers also canceled their event and some of them stayed for an extra day.

And as you may have heard, unfortunately one of them did not stay an extra day. His sailboat grounded on Venice beach without him. The CG searched until Monday afternoon without finding any sign of him.

Sven

Seglare
And as you may have heard, unfortunately one of them did not stay an extra day. His sailboat grounded on Venice beach without him. The CG searched until Monday afternoon without finding any sign of him.

We heard them call off the search when we were coming back today but we didn't know the story behind the search. Apparently he was in some solo race ? The ones that filled up the Isthmus were not single handers and apparently he set out from Emerald Bay for his return.

An unmanned RIB was also found adrift between Catalina and MDR early today.

At one point there were 4 boats in the Isthmus with wrapped props ! Apparently folks were releasing the windward line first, not realizing that as soon as it is dropped the boat will start to pivot and then things get out of control. Many of the harbor patrol folks seem new but they were out there helping as much as they could.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Don and the two guys that came in the E26.

-Sven

Attachments

• Gathering.jpg
    Gathering.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 67

Mikebat

Member III
Latitude38 story about missing sailor

It was Tom Kirschbaum and his 26-ft International Folkboat Feral on his way home to Marina del Rey. He sailed the first day of the Catalina Island Series-Emerald Bay Race on Saturday but the second day was called off due to the rough conditions.