• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 - shower bilge

MikeG

Member I
Hello,
Is any one can tell me, if shower bilge section should be connected with main bilge in E32-3?
What kind pumps I should use for shower bilge and for main bilge sections?

Thanks,

Mike

“Lily”- E32-3, 1989
NJ

Last edited:

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Mike,
I have a 1988 32-4 or more commonly called a 32-200. It has a seperate bilge for the shower. The shower bilge has it's own pump mounted in the motor compartment right next to the main bilge pump. They are both diaphragm pumps and I suspect they eventually dump through a common hose but I never needed to figure that out. I know they are seperate pumps attached to seperate intake hoses. Right now they both work but replacing them is gonna be a bear when they finally give up the ghost.

Larry Lee
Annabele Lee E-32-200
Savannah, GA

MikeG

Member I
If shower pump fail and 1st section of bilge gets overfill, should I drill extra pass for water to go in main bilge section?

Thanks,

Mike

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Shower bilge

I have a 1989 32-3 with the same set up. The shower bilge is designed to over flow into the main bilge if it over fills. Reach in to the top of the shower bilge and you will feel a ledge on the port and stb'd sides where the water will run over in to the main bilge. You will get a lot of water from the mast which drains in to the shower bilge and this will prevent it from flooding. Strange that you have to have the pressure water switch on to activate the shower pump. I have never figured that one out. No need to drill any holes. Dan Callen Ericsom 32-3 Andiamo.

gfilipi

Member I
Shower Bilge

I have an 86 Ericson 32-3 and recently re worked my bilges. The shower bilge is connected to the mast bilge. The short answer is that all the bilges are connected through small channels along the sides. My mast bilge had the shower bilge connected on the bottom the bilge with a plastic pipe. I glassed in that hole and drilled a new hole in the middle of the bilge and connected a Perko FRESH WATER INLET connected to shower bilge. It has a cover on it so I can keep the mast bilge separate from shower when I’m not using the shower. The mast bilge fills with water when it rains so it’s important to be able to get the water out. The original design was to keep the mast/shower bilge separate from the other bilges.
I connected a west marine electronic float switch to a Par-Max (Jabsco 31705-0092 Marine ParMax) </SPAN>Diaphragm Pump which I put back in the stern of boat accessible through the port lazarette. It is connected to a 3 way Switch located in the head. I also put the pump filter back there as well. It is too long of run for a traditional pump. I burned out a couple of rule pumps that kept running because of the back flow from the rise and length of the run. The Diaphragm works excellent without a need for a check valve. I will pump all the water out except for about ¼ inch of water.ffice:oops:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
The main bilges in front of the mast bilge are all connected. I run a square rule 500 traditional style bilge pump with a check valve (not ABYC approved) to prevent back flow when pump is running when thru-hulls are under water. I recently installed a PYC drip less shaft so now I don’t have any water in the main bilges. Prior to Drip less shaft install I was going to re engineer main bilge with a diaphragm pump like the mast bilge.<O:p></O:p>
There are Pro’s and Cons to the Diaphragm pumps but I have had really good luck with them in the Mast bilge because of the long run and rise.<O:p></O:p>