• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Compass mount question

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I have a pedestal mounted compass. it is a standard YS pedestal but the top 6 or 8 inches is made from teak rings stacked & glued into a column that the compass sets into. I recently noticed that removing the compass is as easy as lifting it out. This surely means something is missing as there is no holding device whatsoever. The question is what is missing and where can I get it. Thanks in advance. Edd

Emerald

can you post a picture? My old YS also has teak involved, but this sounds like someone might have made a teak piece to replace what is a metal section on mine, and they never drilled the appropriate holes to screw it all together. My teak ring is down 4-5 inches below the compass, and a metal piece that's shaped like a cup screws down above that, and then the compass screws to tabs in to the top of this upper metal piece. The teak is really a band around the outside instead of a layer in the sandwich, if that makes any sense. You might just need to drill two sets of 4 holes. One set to screw the teak rings down to the base, and then the other set to secure the compass to the rings.

CSMcKillip

I was at our 33 yesterday and took photos of our setup, I bought a sp-5c globemaster compass to install, I don't know if the teak will be used here our not, I took photos so I can get an idea of what I need for this project.

I don't know if this setup is like the 35?

8f20959c.jpg

086fdfcd.jpg

treilley

Sustaining Partner
BTW, the teak trim ring on many boats is a spacer to keep certain compasses from interfering with the throttle and shifter linkages. The compass I had did not have this problem so I removed the teak ring.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Compass and mounting are, AFAIK, factory stock for the YS pedestal in our '88 boat.
Here is a photo that shows it. And, yes, that obnoxious red FRP mounting piece is now painted white.
:)
No teak base.

Loren

Attachments

• lockedInPlacelorez.jpg
    lockedInPlacelorez.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited: